Breeding Business is the #1 online destination for current and aspiring dog breeders looking to succeed at dog breeding. Self-described dog breeding devotees, our columnists enjoy reading about successful breeders and awing over photos of your great accomplishments.
Our philosophy here is to help you start a reputable kennel using modern breeding styles backed by canine genetics. but we also focus on new-age marketing and ethical selling techniques.
Who is this website for?
- aspiring dog breeders who want to learn how to breed dogs the right responsible way
- experienced dog breeders who want to learn modern methods of the breeder and selling dogs
- passionate dog owners who know their favorite pooch will have a litter sooner or later
Check out our recent post if you are breeding your dog for the first time.
Where to find relevant information?
We’ve created a few comprehensive pages tackling each a series of related issues:
- The Dog Breeder’s Handbook — our bestselling ebook covering canine genetics, breeding strategies and modern kennel promotion
- How To Breed Dogs — plan a breeding program, master canine genetics and heredity to use the right strategies
- Kennel Management — run your day-to-day operations such as licensing, bookkeeping, promotion, and more
- Health, Care & Nutrition — all about your dogs’ fitness, nutrition, grooming, health and special care
- Kennel Website — create, run and manage your breeder website using reliable tools
- Supplies & Resources — series of unbiased buying guides and reviews for dog breeders
Because we have provided so much value already, we wanted to do a little recap for the first-timers visiting us, so you too can get quality tips to level up your dog breeding activity.
[optinform title=”Receive Our FREE 7-Day Dog Breeding Course” subheader=”Dog breeding is not an easy task but it is one of the most fulfilling adventure one can board on.” tags=”onboarding,form-101″]
Our Must-Read Dog Breeding Articles
There are foundations every dog breeder should have before even planning the first litter. Mostly about genetics and breed-specific health conditions, these articles will help you understand what you must strive to achieve for the sake of the dog breed. A lot of purebred dogs are being victims of a bad selective breeding and we now need to responsibly improve the breed to lower those risks.
- How Much To Sell a Puppy For — the right and fair pricing strategy for all breeders out there
- Start a Kennel (That’s Not a Puppy Mill) — the steps to follow in order to build a reputable kennel name and a quality bloodline
- Signs & Stages Of The Dog Heat Cycle — successful mating happens when you understand of your female’s heat cycle
- Dog Heat Cycle — Questions & Answers — clear answers to clear question about your female’s seasons
- Abnormal Heat Cycles — all your need to know about silent, absent and split heats in female dogs
- Dog Whelping Timeline — our illustrated guide through the entire process of breeding your bitch (heat, mating, gestation, delivery)
- Influencing a Puppy Litter Size — understanding the key factors determining a litter’s puppy count
- Gene Pools in Dogs — understand the importance of keeping your gene pool healthy and as vast as possible
- Definition and Meaning of Inbreeding in Dogs — inbreeding is a controversial breeding method, we define it and explain why (we also defined linebreeding and back-breeding)
- Female Dogs and Menopause — unlike humans, female dogs do not go through menopause but their fertility decreases as they age
- Methods To Confirm a Dog’s Pregnancy — roundup of the pregnancy testing methods: ultrasound, palpation, relaxin hormone testing, and x-rays
- Meaning of F1, F1b, F2, F2b & F3 In Designer Dog Breeds — definition of nomenclature and terms commonly used to describe hybrid and designer dog breeds
- Genetics, Parents, Filiation & Environment in Dog Breeding — introduction to the influence parents have on their offsets (puppies)
- Breed-Specific Inherited Dog Diseases: Breeding To Improve! — because of humans, dogs’ genetic pool shrunk and it causes the spread of hereditary conditions
- Back to Back Breeding — is it healthier to breed your female back to back during her prime time?
Check out our #1 dog breeding guide, The Dog Breeder’s Handbook, if you really want to learn how to breed dogs.
Freebies You’ll Need Very Soon
We all like free stuff, especially when it is of great quality! Here you go, amazing resources you will need as soon as you will become serious at what you are doing.
- 21 Delicious Homemade Dog Food Recipes — dog food companies betrayed us, this is our homemade dog food cookbook
- The Perfect Dog & Puppy Sale Contract With Free Templates — puppy selling contracts are a must to protect both the buyer and the seller, we also have made a simplified version
- New Puppy & Dog Owner’s Shopping List To Print — save this list and give it to every client of yours before they pickup their new puppy
- Your Own Dog Whelping Kit: The Ultimate Supply List — be ready to assist your bitch if any emergency occurs during pregnancy or delivery
- Tick & Flea Treatment For Dogs — a comprehensive article on how to get rid of fleas and ticks on your dogs, yard and home
Psychology of the Dog Breeder
An efficient person focuses on himself (or herself) too! Regardless of how healthy and beautiful your dogs are, you also need to take care of yourself and when we talk to people about dog breeding, they often have misconceptions about the profession.
- Is Dog Breeding Profitable? — a question we answer with a twist because the question itself is not asked correctly
- Objectivity Is Key When Breeding Purebred Dogs — here is why every single dog breeder should also judge his dogs, objectively
- Mindset: A Great Dog Breeder Starts By Not Breeding — first, you need to swallow and digest knowledge about your breed, and then, you start breeding
- How To Handle Puppy Buyer Complaints — an in-depth article explaining you how to calmly handle complaints from your pups’ new homes
- Is Dog Breeding Emotionally Hard? Yes, And We Tell You Why. — dog breeding is not just playing with pups, it is psychologically draining
- Find Out What a Dog Breeding Business IS NOT About! — myth and reality of what breeding dogs really is like
- What Should Dog Breeders Do With A Disabled Puppy? — a tough episode that any breed can be thrown in at any litter, this is how we would handle it
Improve Your Promotion & Online Presence
Everybody is on internet and now, even on their mobile. All businesses shift slowly to mobile marketing and dog breeders are no exception: you have to improve your online presence and digital marketing strategy.
In 2016, we’ve created a new dog breeder website timeline: a free, step-by-step guide to creating your dream website in just a few minutes.
- Breedr for WordPress — the absolute best way to create, run, manage and update a professional breeding website at an unbeatable price! We’ve also written a step-by-step Breedr installation guide for novice users.
- 10+ Tips To Grow Your Kennel’s Social Media Following — growing a kennel’s social media following is valuable in both the short and the long run
- 9 Reasons To Put Your Dog Breeding Business On Facebook — everybody is on Facebook and this is why your breeding business should be on there, too
- How To Create Your Dog Breeder Website In 3 Steps — if you don’t have your website yet, go and do that now in less than ten minutes
- 10 Reasons To Use WordPress For Your Dog Breeder Website — WordPress is what runs your website without any coding knowledge required (we use it here too)
- 10 Premium & Free WordPress Themes For Dog Breeders — WordPress uses themes to display your website to visitors, these are the best ones for pet-related businesses
- Writing Your Dog Breeding Business Plan Made Super Easy! — every dog breeder must have a business plan, even basic, for himself (and for others if you seek external funding)
For a comprehensive dog breeding guide, you want to get your copy of our bestselling dog breeding ebook now.