Large and giant dog breeds do take a lot of space, whatever they do and wherever they go. This is why they need XXL dog beds that will match their large and giant dog breeds do take a lot of space, whatever they do and wherever they go. This is why they need XXL dog beds that will match their size, but extra large dog beds are not just bigger versions of small beds because giant dogs are heavier and their morphology is very much different to medium-sized dogs, thus, large dog breeds require a lot more than a simple bigger surface to lounge on.
15 Best XXL Dog Beds For Large Dogs
Well, if you’re looking for the best XXL dog bed for large dogs, then you’re in the right article. The first and the most recommended dog bed by pet owners is no other than the Big Barker Orthopedic bed. It’s a durable bed that can withstand the heaviest dog weights. Also, this has a proven track record to help alleviate or even remove back and joint pains. Moreover, if you want to have more dog bed choices, just read the reviews below.
Our Best Pick
Here we go with our up-to-date selection and reviews of the best extra-large dog beds for your large and giant dog breeds. If you know of any top-rated dog bed that you have tested and approved yourself, drop us a quick email and we’ll add it here.
1. Big Barker 7-inch Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed
It is fair to consider this bed the Rolls Royce of giant dog beds, both about its excellent quality and its high price tag. First of all, it comes in three sizes and there is no small or medium, instead, you can choose from Extra Large (52″x36″x7″), Large (48″x30″x7″) and Giant (60″x48″x7″). Khaki, Burgundy, and Chocolate are the colors available and its 100% microfiber removable cover is easy to clean, and obviously machine washable.
This handmade premium-quality large bed is coming with an ultra-comfortable headrest to better your large companion’s lounging experience. Older dogs will definitely like this addition even more since their neck gets fragile and tired over the years.
Inside this orthopedic extra large dog bed, you will find 7″ of superior quality American-Made foam. Not a Chinese-imported foam, but an ultra-comfortable American foam that will make you want to try it yourself… And you should because we did, and we loved it big time! The support provided by the Big Barker has no contender, it is impressive and completely justifies its high price.
Thanks to the premium-grade materials used during the entire process, this super-sized dog bed for giant breeds is guaranteed to retain its original thickness, padding, and support. If not, you get a new bed for free. You can’t really go wrong with this, can you?!
Seller Warranty Description — 10-year guarantee on the foam. We’re so confident that this is the best quality foam used in any dog bed, that we’ll guarantee that the foam will retain 90% of its loft and comfort for at least 10 years, or we’ll replace the bed for free.
- Effective in treating dogs’ orthopedic issues for only 28 days.
- The microsuede cover is 100% easy to clean and machine washable.
- It’s best suited for large to double extra large dogs.
- The foam won’t flatten even after 10 years.
- It also has a durable and comfortable headrest.
- This is too big and powerful for small dogs.
2. K9 Ballistics Original TUFF Bed
K9 Ballistics is a brand known for selling hard-wearing products that genuinely resist and last over time! Durable ripstop fibers are at the heart of this XXL dog bed, they make this comfortable bed tear, dirt, odor, and water-resistant. The channeling of the inner cushion makes this bed’s padding and support long-lasting as it is specifically designed to resist clamping and flattening.
The corners have all been reinforced with an extra layer of ballistic material and all the seams are double stitched using, on top of that, an additional piece of high strength webbing sewn into each seam.
For fashionistas, the K9 Ballistics Original TUFF Bed comes in various colors: red, green, tan, blue, and black, but also different sizes: small, medium, large (34″x40″x5″), extra-large (38″x54″x5″) and XX-large (68″x40″x5″).
- Perfect for large to giant dog breeds.
- It’s durable, easy to clean, and has a non-slip bottom.
- It has a 120-day warranty for damaged items.
- Enhances mood and sleeping quality of dogs.
- Aggressive dogs will be able to tear down the fabric.
- Broken fabric pieces are choking hazards.
3. Veehoo Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed
Every large dog owner knows how even the timidest play bite can hurt or leave scars on furniture. The same goes for most dog beds so if you own a heavy persistent chewer, you will definitely want to go for this elevated Veehoo Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed.
The first reason why this is a superb product is the chew-proof lightweight upgraded rustless aluminum tube frame that can support up to 150 pounds (68kg) without any problem. It is extremely solid and durable, even with crazy chewers! The reinforcements are clever ways to prevent your dog from breaking the frame.
Another reason for you to become a proud owner of this Veehoo giant dog bed is its 9” off-the-ground elevated design. Indeed, its bed mat is crafted of Textilene mesh fabric and is perfect for a more comfortable, dryer, cleaner, and healthier sleeping place for your dogs. With no stuffing at all, this sturdy raised dog bed allows air to circulate so your giant dog naturally regulates his body temperature.
- This is great for both indoor and outdoor activities.
- It’s made from durable Textilene and aluminum material.
- It can also hold large dogs up to 250 lbs.
- This is breathable, cost-effective, and proven chew-proof.
- It’s both easy to clean and assemble.
- The mesh bed sags over time.
4. Snoozer Overstuffed Luxury Pet Sofa X-Large
Stuffed with high loft polyester fill for added comfort, the Snoozer Overstuffed Luxury Pet Sofa is a comfortable, yet beautiful and eye-catching extra large dog sofa.
It is an ideal product for any large dog owner who wants a large dog bed that will match his fancy interior design. Some of the more functional dog beds sometimes do not look as good as Snoozer products, and this is the best large dog bed for people looking for a functional but also beautiful extra large dog bed.
Two Dobermans can easily fit in one extra-large Snoozer sofa and the overstuffed feel is extremely appealing to dogs who will enjoy spending hours in it.
However, it is not the easiest and best to clean. It actually is pretty hard to clean since the centerpiece does not unzip. You’ll have to wash the whole thing and allow it to dry for hours. Only the middle cushion comes out and can be washed.
- It’s made from durable polyester fiber.
- It has removable polyester-filled cushions.
- This can also be machine washable and dry-cleaned.
- Perfectly suitable for large to giant dogs.
- It has a large sleeping area that supports a dog’s back.
- Dirt can get trapped inside the mattress.
- This isn’t chew proof.
5. Sealy Large Dog Bed with Quad Layer Technology
Sealy’s Giant Dog Beds have initiated, years ago, a deep revolution of the large dog beds by focusing not just on the look of these, but also on the technology within these ultra-comfortable beds. And they achieved amazing advances with Quad Layer Technology.
The Sealy Dog Bed, considered by many as the World’s #1 Dog Bed, will doubtlessly make a huge difference in your dog’s quality of life and comfort. With over 130 years of expert sleep technology experience; the Sealy Dog Bed brings perhaps the most technologically-advanced large dog bed.
- The Cooling Energy Gel regulates your dog’s body temperature by dissipating heat away from the sleeping surface (ideal for summer dog beds!)
- The Pet Rest Memory Foam adapts to your pet’s body, and quickly adjust to movements and pressure which helps to improve blood circulation
- The Bio-Green Orthopedic Foam eliminates and removes pressure points by evenly distributing your dog’s body weight on the bed’s surface
- The Pro-Charcoal HD Foam Base adds a further layer of support and absorbs odors so you can space out wash-ups
- Orthopedic memory foam dog bed that supports back and joints.
- It has an active cooling gel for breathability functions.
- The foam has a charcoal ingredient that absorbs odor.
- It has a water-repellent liner and a non-skid bottom.
- It’s very soft and prone to chewing.
- Broken parts can be choking hazards.
Sealy also built in some notable and very convenient additions to this already-great large dog bed such as hidden zippers, non-slip bottom, and waterproof liner. All these details definitely justify the price and you will absolutely enjoy seeing your dog-loving it.
6. PetFusion Ultimate Lounge Orthopedic Bolster
This bed is HUGE! Much larger than what the dimensions suggest. You can confidently order a size smaller and still see your dog having extra room to stretch. The bigger size is due to the incredible stuffing found inside the sleeping area. Your dog will surely find that extremely comfortable, but many owners prefer to remove some of the stuffing and flatten it out a little.
High-quality quilted microfibre is used to complement the thick fleece so your dog stays warm while enjoying the soft surface. The cover is removable and a quick machine wash will remove any unwanted odors. The filling used to stuff this XXL dog bed is made of high lofting premium non-allergenic polyester fibers, made here in the United States. Only YKK zippers are used to ensure a long-lasting and durable intensive utilization by your large and heavy dog.
Definitely, a great option if you have a lot of free space at home, but we would not recommend this XXL bed for senior dogs since the support may be insufficient for their joints and bone structure.
- It’s made from certified breathable and skin-safe materials.
- This features a 3-year warranty period for damages.
- The inner liner is waterproof to prevent leaks.
- It comes with a high-quality biodegradable filling.
- It’s specifically designed for dogs up to 150 lbs.
- This isn’t suitable for aggressive chewer dogs.
7. Dogbed4less Premium Orthopedic Memory Foam for Extra Large Dogs
Are you wondering what kind of bed best fits giant dogs? Well, this Dogbed4less orthopedic memory foam could be just the answer to your question. This covers lots of dog sizes ranging from medium to jumbo-sized dogs. Moreover, this has a plush orthopedic foam mattress that releases stress and alleviates muscle and joint pain. Other than that, this also provides a warm and comforting nest for dogs to sleep in and reduces their stress and anxieties.
In addition, the outer covering is made from hassle-free and washable material. To be precise, the covering includes durable denim with extra wide hidden zippers. Plus, this came from 100% nontoxic materials that are safe for dogs of all ages. It has a waterproof inner liner that separates foam components. Further, the main reason for that is to prevent leaks from wetting and destroying the foam inside.
- It has a unique and durable denim outer cover.
- A single purchase comes with 2 extra covers and a waterproof liner.
- Made from 100% premium memory foam.
- This is therapeutic, machine washable, and breathable.
- Perfect for giant-sized dogs.
- Some products arrived with defects.
- The inner liner doesn’t seem to be waterproof.
8. Bedsure Jumbo Dog Bed for Large Dogs Up to 150lbs
Another best dog bed on the market is this Bedsure jumbo pet bed. As the name implies, this can carry a whopping 150 lbs and not get decompressed. Moreover, its memory foam material really does its work. It helps provide comfort to dogs’ joints by contouring their bodies as they move in their sleep. Well, the foam acts as a mold that actively shapes their bodies and hence, reduces the back pains that ordinary mattresses promote.
Also, you don’t have to worry about furs sticking on the outer covering since it’s removable and washable. In addition, this product also has reversible functions which means you can choose which side your dog can sleep on.
- It’s made from an egg crate orthopedic foam.
- It has a removable and water-resistant mat cover.
- Perfect for dogs with a weight limit of 150 lbs.
- This has both reversible and smart designs for premium support.
- It has a durable yet machine-washable cover.
- Some products arrived with defective zippers.
- The foam has an uneven shape and thickness.
9. Coolaroo The Cooling Original Elevated Dog Bed
This unique pet bed is really worth the purchase. Most pet owners recommend buying this product since this is perfect for both indoor and outdoor fields. This can withstand even the harshest outside weather conditions with its durable mesh fabric and steel frame. To be precise, when this is left alone under the rain, this bed won’t soak. Moreover, the durable mesh fabric doesn’t hold water the same as a foam bed does. Instead, with mesh elevated beds, water just passes through and eventually dries out using natural air. Also, in this way, you’ll be able to prevent molds from growing.
Further, this elevated pet bed is the most ideal during summer. Well, that’s because the 8-inch steel legs enable air to pass through underneath in different directions. Plus, the breathability design can lighten dogs’ moods and also promote their overall mental and physical well-being.
- This is breathable and made from eco-friendly materials.
- Perfect for both indoor and outdoor use.
- This is weather resistant, durable, and easy to clean.
- It’s lightweight and at the same time suited for dogs of all ages.
- Large aggressive dogs can poke a hole in the mesh.
- The mesh fabric also sags over time.
10. Serta Ortho Quilted Couch Pet Bed, Large
The next best extra large dog bed on the list is this Serta Ortho couch bed. This is a unique design that functions as both a couch and a bed. Well, as pet owners, we know that couches provide the premium back support that an ordinary bed lacks. So, to incorporate that neck and back support, scientists created a formula to combine those two interesting features using an orthopedic memory foam material. Other than that, those side rails will help keep your dog from falling down the bed as they roll over in their sleep.
Further. Aside from being durable, this bed covering is also machine washable and easy to clean. So, when dogs accidentally spill their food on the bed or leave dirty paw marks on the canvas, owners can easily remove the cover and toss it into the washing machine.
- It’s an orthopedic dog bed that relieves back and joint pressure pains.
- It doubles as a comfy couch and bed.
- This is high quality and also machine-washable.
- It’s soft yet durable and cost-effective.
- Provides comfort for dogs that like snuggling.
- Some products only have half fillings.
- The foam flattens over time.
11. Barkbox Memory Foam Platform Dog Bed
On the other hand, if you’re looking for a bed that has the capacity to hold extreme weights of pets at 165 lbs, then worry no more. Well, this Barkbox memory foam bed has you covered. This is specifically made to suit the physical attributes of very large dogs such as Alaskan Malamute, Great Danes, and even Pitbulls. Also, the same with other orthopedic dog beds, this product actively lessens back and joint pains in adult to senior dogs.
Moreover, this also promotes healthy sleeping habits in dogs. In addition, the cooling gel inside the mattress helps in regulating body temperatures in hot weather conditions. Well, it only means that this bed is best suited in hot areas, and at the same time can help reduce the risk of heat stroke in pets.
- This includes a free squeaky toy.
- It’s a plush orthopedic dog bed that provides pain relief and comfort.
- It has fully washable and water-resistant covers.
- This also has an active cooling gel for temperature regulation.
- Promotes good sleeping habits in dogs.
- Aggressive dogs can tear the foam and fabric.
- Torn fabric s considered a choking hazard.
12. MidWest Homes for Pets Deluxe Dog Beds
This MidWest Homes pet bed is also one of the best dog beds that are highly recommended by most dog owners and veterinarians. This has a unique spiral design for a stylish and more sophisticated look. Other than that, this is also best suited for heavy dogs with a weight of 110 lbs.
Moreover, this is a plush dog bed that helps relieve the stress and anxiety of dogs. Well, this dog bed has lots of other purposes too. For instance, this can be put inside the car so dogs can have a good sleep while traveling. Or, in other cases, this is also helpful in terms of crate training exercises. Just put this MidWest Homes dog bed inside the dog cage and invite your pet to come in.
Further, this doesn’t only help train good behavior in dogs but rather, this can also complement any furniture you have in your house. Hence, you don’t have to worry about where to place it. You can leave it in the living room, and the dog bed will still look sophisticated as ever.
- This is perfect for dogs up to 110 lbs.
- It’s cozy and at the same stylish with a grey swirl pattern.
- This is also easy to clean, machine washable, and dryer suited.
- It’s soft, comfortable, and cost-effective.
- It also has a non-slip bottom.
- It has a funny smell.
- A few of the products arrived used.
13. Carhartt Firm Duck Dog Bed
This Carhartt pet bed is also one of the must-haves for pet owners. Undeniably, this came from a durable fabric called Duck Polyester. This is a heavy-duty fabric that’s used in creating bags, banners, sneakers, sandbags, and even tents. Moreover, this fabric is also very easy to clean. Hence, when the fabric gets too dirty, just give it a toss in the laundry machine and it’s good to go.
In addition, this dog bed can be used in both indoor and outdoor activities. Well, you can also bring this during travels so your dog can have a nice place to sleep on. Further, you can just place this outside your house, whether it be on a patio or yard, just so your dog can enjoy a good feel of fresh air while resting.
- The polyester fiber-filled bed provides comfort to dogs.
- It has a durable canvas outer cover.
- The outer covering is removable and machine washable.
- It’s plush and wonderful for outdoor and indoor uses.
- This isn’t suitable for teething dogs.
- Small pieces of torn fabric can cause choking hazards.
14. The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed XL
The Dog’s Bed is a unique dog bed that can be found in most pet stores worldwide. Most pet owners recommend buying this one because of its cost-effectiveness and efficiency. It has thick 4-inches orthopedic memory foam that encapsulates your dog’s every move. This also helps ease back, joint, and hip pains in most senior dogs.
Other than that, this dog bed has raised side rails for extra neck protection during sleep. Plus, the inner lining came from a waterproof material, so you don’t have to worry about pee or water leaks. Lastly, this dog bed has removable a covering, so when things get too dirty or smelly, you can just put it inside the washing machine.
- The 4-inch orthopedic memory foam supports dogs’ backs and joints.
- Provides warmth and comfort to dogs with anxiety issues.
- It’s also easy to clean hence covers are removable and washable.
- It has a waterproof inner lining to protect it from leaks.
- The raised side bolsters provide additional neck and body support.
- Some parts don’t have even fillings.
- The bed decompressed after a few days.
15. Furhaven Comfy Couch Plush & Décor Sofa-Style Memory Foam Dog Bed
The last but also one of the most recommended pet beds is this Furhaven couch and decor bed. Just as its description implies, this doggie bed can be placed in your living room without any hassles. Hence, its brown-diamond design will immediately blend with the rest of your sofas and furniture.
Moreover, this has 3 styles of foam that you can choose from. For instance, when it’s too hot outside, then better choose a cooling gel foam that regulates body temperature. On the other hand, if you’re getting this for your senior dog, then an ortho foam is your best option. Also, if you have dogs that love snuggling, then choose the memory foam option.
Further, the best thing about this product is that it can hold very heavy weights without breaking or decompressing. To be precise, its weight limit is 125 lbs. With that said, this pet bed is made for large dogs such as Mastiffs, Dobermans, or even Alaskan Malamutes.
- This bed holds up to 125 lbs.
- It comes with 3 foam variations that you can choose from.
- Also, it has both the functions of a couch and a bed.
- Provides comfort and is perfect for dogs that like snuggling.
- It’s sturdy, plush, and easy to clean.
- The memory foam material is only an inch.
- Fur sticks nonstop to the cover.
What are the Important Benefits of XXL Dog Beds?
We want dogs to live a healthy life, and just like Chihuahuas have specific needs due to their size, large and giant dog breeds also call for more attention given to some of their specific needs. When buying a large or XXL dog bed, most pet owners will simply go for a regular bed and click the XL size, and here they go, receiving it a couple of days later. What happens next? Their large dog is not lounging on it and clearly doesn’t enjoy the new purchase.
The reason is simple: large and giant dog breeds are bigger and heavier. We are talking about breeds such as the Great Dane, Mastiff, Saint Bernard, Rottweiler, Golden Retriever, Labrador, German Shepherd, and similarly sized dogs. Their bone structure needs more support and the older they get, the more padding and cushioning these large dog beds must provide.
With so much weight put on these beds, low-quality products will simply flatten after a few weeks and become pointless, you may not notice that but your dog will. Orthopedic memory foam beds are a blessing to dogs’ bones, hips, and joints but for giant-sized dog breeds, the perfect fit rarely exists as they tend to usually be too small. We’ve seen people buying regular beanbags and using them as extra large dog sofas but what was a great idea quickly turned into a nightmare: large dogs have powerful jaws, they will break these beanbags within days without any doubt!
Types of Giant Dog Beds
There are plenty of giant dog beds that you can purchase at pet shops and even online. All of them have different purposes that can give your dogs comfort and joy when it’s time for bed.
- Memory foam/Orthopaedic dog beds work by molding your dog’s body shape to supply, improve circulation and relieve body pain. This type of foam is recommended to large dog breeds as they offer real support and ultimate comfort. It can also be a blessing to senior dogs and dogs with physical conditions like hip dysplasia, arthritis, and other joint problems.
- Raised dog beds are the first choice for older and senior dogs, they really help relieve your dog’s joints and articulations. This type of bed can avoid cold cements or tile floors so your dogs can stay at a comfortable temperature.
- Thermal dog beds are not a priority unless your dog is having cold nights. Self-warming dog beds work by having a layer of insulating material in the cushion of the bed.
And again, dog beds for large dogs are items you don’t want to be cheap about. Cheap giant dog beds will flatten and become pointless after a few days or a couple of weeks. Understand that what you see is very different from what your dog actually feels.
Important Factors to Consider When Buying a Large Dog Bed
Let’s summarise what’s important to look at when choosing the right XL or XXL dog bed for your large or giant dog. It is not rocket science but there are a few points that need your full attention:
Dog’s Sleeping Position
Before buying a high-quality large dog bed, make sure that you know your dog’s sleeping position. How does your dog sleep? Are they light sleepers, do they usually curl up in a ball, flat on their slide, or do they comfortably stretch while sleeping.
This will help you know what type of giant dog bed is a perfect fit for your dogs. Their bed shouldn’t restrict them from moving and will allow them to feel comfortable.
Dog’s Health Condition
It’s important to know your dog’s health condition especially when it comes to XXL dog breeds. As mentioned earlier, they have different bone structures that need support compared to smaller breeds.
It’s necessary to know if your giant dog has sore joints, sore muscles, and hip/back problems. Buying a dog bed that doesn’t meet your dog’s needs will only worsen their condition, so it’s better to know which type of bed is perfect for them.
Type of Materials
Of course, every pet owner wants to give their dogs a clean and comfortable bed to sleep in. Examining the materials, especially the cover is an important factor before buying an XXL dog bed. A removable and washable large dog bed can help you keep your large dog beds clean and prevent foul odors.
Also, natural fabrics and fur can affect your dog’s sleeping, you can also choose waterproof dog beds to clean them easily. Make sure to choose high-quality materials that will last longer and will give your dog comfortability.
XXL Dog Bed Sizes
When it comes to sizes, make sure that your dog has enough space to stretch and change position without difficulty. But keep in mind that large dog beds can be too big for your dogs.
Yes, we want them to have a large extra space but they should also feel safe and snug into their beds so they can easily settle.
Since XXL dog breeds are stronger compared to other breeds, make sure that their bed is durable. As we all know, dog beds can be expensive so it’s better to purchase something that’s long-lasting and can be chew and scratch-proof.
Large Dog Beds: FAQ
We gathered the top frequently asked questions about the best extra large dog beds for large dogs & giant breeds, below are the best answers to your inquiries.
What is the biggest dog bed you can get?
You can purchase XXL dog beds for your giant dogs. Usually, there are large dog beds that are available online that have a maximum weight capacity of 91-100 lbs and have a 48” length and 30” width.
What type of XXL dog beds do dogs like best?
The most popular XXL dog beds are orthopedic memory foam beds. Since large breeds are prone to joint and muscle pain, this type of bed can prevent or lessen an uneasy sleeping position for them.
How often should you clean your giant dog bed?
Generally, it’s recommended to clean and wash your giant dog beds every 1-2 weeks especially if your giant fur buddies love to play outdoors..This can prevent any pet allergies and foul odors on their bedding.
How do you introduce a dog to a new bed?
The best way to introduce your new giant dog bed to your dogs is to make their bed feel home and comfortable. You can place their bed to a familiar location and place toys and treats as an introductory warm-up. Also, praise them when they did a good job on sleeping in their beds.
Where is the best place to put a dog bed?
You can place your dog beds close to your bedroom or anywhere in your home where they feel safe. Most dogs have a special spot in your house where they feel secure. So yes, the best place for dog beds may vary depending on your dogs.
Hopefully, you have now found your pooch’s new favorite large dog bed and if these reviews helped you, please share :)
You will love our other article on the most luxurious dog sofa beds and the 10 best designer dog bowls! We have loads of dog supplies reviews, so enjoy reading through them!
Featured image credits to Ambient Lounge Pet.