One of the most common natures of dogs is biting. This behavior can sometimes get out of hand, causing harm or inconvenience to our family or strangers. When this happens, pet owners resort to dog muzzles to control their furry friends (e.g., for lurchers).
10 Best Muzzles For Dogs That Bite
So, to start your journey of finding big or small dog muzzles for biting, let us introduce our best pick:
Baskerville Ultra Dog Muzzle. This product ensures protection and comfort while making everyone and everything around your pup safe.
So, continue scrolling down to know more about why Baskerville topped the list!
|Product Name||Best Feature||Type||Material||Durability Scale (1-10)||Rating|
|Baskerville Ultra Dog Muzzle Dogs||Made of malleable thermal plastic rubber that you can heat and shape for a personalized fit||Basket||Plastic rubber||9||4.8|
|BronzeDog Dog Muzzle||Four adjustable straps for a comfortable fit, especially for Pitbulls||Basket||Stainless steel||9||4.7|
|ewinever Dog Muzzles Suit||Five pieces of dog muzzles in one set for multiple options||Occlusion||Nylon||8||4.7|
|JYHY Short Snout Dog Muzzles||Soft-edged, breathable, and comfortable muzzle designed for flat-faced breeds||Short Snout||Nylon||8||4.7|
|Mayerzon Breathable Basket Muzzles||With breathable hollow-out design to prevent overheating||Basket||Rubber||8||4.6|
|Crazy Felix Nylon Dog Muzzle||Lock-on buckle and unique anti-slip design for a secure fit||Occlusion||Nylon||8||4.6|
|Barkless Soft Silicone Basket Muzzle||No sharp or hard edges for preventing fur or skin damage||Basket||Rubber||8||4.6|
|Mayerzon Soft Mesh Covered Muzzles||Fully-closed mesh design resistant to tear, abrasion, and puncture||Occlusion||Mesh||8||4.5|
|HEELE Soft Nylon Muzzle||With adjustable straps for a snug and anti-slip muzzle||Occlusion||Nylon||7||4.5|
|BARKLESS Dog Muzzle Leather||Skin-friendly and breathable leather muzzle for long-snout breeds||Occlusion||Leather||8||4.5|
1. Baskerville Ultra Dog Muzzle Dogs
Whether you are on the go for vet visits, grooming, short walks, or dog traveling, Baskerville Ultra Dog Muzzle has got you covered. It is also a basket muzzle made of a malleable thermal plastic rubber that protects your furry friend’s snout. Nonetheless, they remain allowed to drink, eat, and pant, although restricted from biting.
Additionally, this product has a safety strapping that secures the muzzle in your dog’s mouth. It also consists of a removable overhead safety strap and two attachment points, letting you connect a collar. Lastly, its neoprene padded lining makes everything comfortable.
- Lightweight and padded
- It prevents biting and barking
- Adjustable and available in various sizing options
- It allows canines to drink, eat, and pant
- Excessively long straps
- Not suitable for canines that eat foreign objects due to its wide gaps
- Fingers can go between the openings and get bitten
2. BronzeDog Dog Muzzle
If your pup is a Pitbull, BronzeDog Dog Muzzle is its best match. This stainless steel basket muzzle is durable and comfortable due to its sturdy materials and soft padding. Additionally, it features four adjustable straps to fit your dog’s mouth perfectly.
This dog muzzle lets your pup breathe because it allows plenty of air to enter. Even though it restricts biting and aggressive barking, your dog can still lick its nose or eat without difficulty. However, some pet owners say this product can be too big for some breeds.
- With four adjustable straps for comfort
- Made with durable stainless materials
- Perfect for Pitbulls
- Dogs can eat while wearing the muzzle
- All-around mouth protection
- Complex to use
- Dogs can break the straps
- It can be too big for some dogs
3. ewinever Dog Muzzles Suit
Your dog’s behavioral problem in biting can end with ewinever Dog Muzzles! This product also consists of five pieces of muzzles in one set, perfect for dogs of different sizes and ages. Also, aside from preventing your pup from biting, it can restrict chewing, barking, licking wounds, and other destructive habits.
In addition, ewinever Dog Muzzles have adjustable straps and quick-release buckles for a secure fit. It is also comfortable and breathable. Nevertheless, if you feel unsatisfied with this product, you can contact the manufacturer for a money-back guarantee.
- Effectively prevents biting, chewing, barking, and wound licking
- Breathable and comfortable
- Inexpensive and affordable
- With adjustable straps and quick-release buckles
- Multiple sizes available
- The side straps can be too short
- The materials are not of the best quality
4. JYHY Short Snout Dog Muzzles
Flat-faced dogs will undoubtedly fall in love with JYHY Short Snout Dog Muzzle due to its durable nylon construction and breathable mesh fabric. Since the manufacturer designed it with adjustable and quick-release buckles, it is convenient and easy to put the muzzle on and off.
Furthermore, the eyehole structure with soft edges ensures maximum comfort and visibility. So, if you want to gently stop your pup from biting, barking, chewing, or eating things indiscriminately, JYHY can be your go-to brand.
- Adjustable and with quick-release buckles
- With eyes and nose openings for breathability
- Perfect for flat-faced breeds
- It prevents dogs from disorderly chewing, biting, and aggressive eating
- Not suitable for long-haired dogs
- Difficult to let it stay in place
- Some users report that the clasps can break easily
5. Mayerzon Breathable Basket Muzzles
The Mayerzon Breathable Basket Muzzle is a must-have accessory for any dog owner looking to keep their pet safe and comfortable. Moreover, crafted with pliable non-toxic rubber – this product is durable, soft to the touch, and adjustable. Additionally, its adjustable nylon neck strap further enables personalizing the fit.
Furthermore, in terms of breathability, this basket muzzle has a hollow-out design that lets canines breathe, pant, drink, and eat small treats. While it prevents overheating, it also soars high to give all-around mouth protection without causing discomfort and skin damage.
- Breathable and adjustable
- All-around mouth protection
- Dogs can eat and drink while wearing the muzzle
- Sturdy, durable, and soft to touch
- 12 months warranty and 60 days money-back guarantee
- A few fur parents say the size does not fit at times
- The quality of the material is not the best
6. Crazy Felix Nylon Dog Muzzle
In terms of protection, comfort, and style, Crazy Felix Nylon Dog Muzzle will never do you wrong. Moreover, its design has a closed part under the chin, suitable for preventing your dog from biting, chewing, licking, scavenging, and eating foreign objects. However, it still allows drinking, panting, and eating small treats as rewards.
Also, this dog muzzle is lightweight and breathable to reduce the feeling of restriction. It also has an adjustable strap in the snout and neck that lets you personalize your friend’s freedom. Lastly, the lock-on buckle and unique anti-slip design make it more secure!
- Ideal for grooming, vet visits, outside walking, or nail trimming
- Lightweight and breathable
- Comfortable to use
- Effectively prevents biting, chewing, eating foreign objects, licking, and scavenging
- Not applicable for aggressive dogs
- It can get ripped off or torn apart
- The muzzle can sometimes come with chemical smells
7. Barkless Soft Silicone Basket Muzzle
Some dog muzzle brands often cause damage to skin or fur, but Barkless Soft Silicone Basket Muzzle has no sharp or hard edges that can do that. It also consists of soft, flexible yet sturdy silicone that provides all-around protection for your dog’s mouth. Nonetheless, it still allows drinking water, eating small treats or kibbles, and panting.
Furthermore, this product comes with a collar. It also has safety strapping that ensures the muzzle will stay in place. However, a few fur parents report that it may need to be more durable to last for years.
- Soft, flexible, and sturdy
- No sharp edges
- All-around mouth protection
- It allows dogs to eat small treats, drink, and pant
- With a collar
- The muzzle comes off easily
- Not durable enough to last for years
- Difficult to adjust
8. Mayerzon Soft Mesh Covered Muzzles
Mayerzon boasts a fully-closed mesh design with this Soft Mesh Covered Dog Muzzle. While this product is foldable and soft, it remains durable and resistant to tear, abrasion, and puncture. Additionally, it is lightweight and packable; thus, you can bring or store it anywhere you wish.
In addition, this dog muzzle is an excellent choice for muzzle training, especially when it is your pup’s first time. Since it also has soft material, you can ensure that no sharp or hard edge harms your dog’s nose and face.
- With foldable and soft mesh sides
- Lightweight and easily packable
- Resistant to tear, abrasion, and puncture
- Comfortable and not excessively restrictive
- Fully-covered design
- Not appropriate for bite-risk canines
- It can get off easily
- Size inaccuracies, especially when not measured correctly
9. HEELE Soft Nylon Muzzle
As its name says HEELE Soft Nylon Muzzle consists of high-quality nylon material, soft fabric, and breathable mesh to blend reliability, protection, and durability. Besides, its extra soft padding provides comfort, while its adjustable strap ensures an anti-slip muzzle.
Moreover, this product allows your furry friend to drink, breathe, and grasp, even though it cannot bite and bark aggressively. Above all, this dog muzzle’s ergonomic design is easy to wear and clean using a washing machine.
- With extra soft padding for ultimate comfort
- With hook and loop fasteners
- Made with high-quality nylon materials
- Snug and anti-slip
- It allows dogs to grasp, drink, and breathe
- Not sturdy enough
- It does not last long
- Dogs can get the muzzle off easily
10. BARKLESS Dog Muzzle Leather
Leather is one of the best materials you can use in a dog muzzle, and gladly, BARKLESS decided to craft one with it. This soft and skin-friendly product gives mouth protection and comfort to dogs while preventing them from showing destructive behaviors. Additionally, they allow drinking, eating, and panting despite getting restricted from biting.
This dog muzzle also possesses adjustable straps and a metal rivet for a secure fit. You can also attach a dog collar to the muzzle. Nevertheless, this product only applies to long-snout breeds.
- Lightweight, soft, and skin-friendly
- With air holes for breathability
- It allows dogs to drink, eat, and pant
- Made with leather for added durability
- Only suitable for dogs with long snouts
- A few pet owners say they have to punch extra holes in the straps
How Long Should Your Dog Wear a Muzzle?
According to Cronin et al.‘s research on the effects of anti-barking muzzles on dogs’ behaviors, dog muzzles help reduce or correct a canine’s standing posture, activity level, and barking behaviors. The study further explains that using this thing shows no evidence of physiological stress.
However, although using dog muzzles does not produce many negative consequences, you must keep your dog from wearing them for long periods. That is because they restrict your furry friend from eating or doing other activities.
In this case, you can put a dog muzzle on your pup for not more than an hour if you are in the park, on public transport, or any place where muzzles are necessary. Moreover, if you wish to walk on the streets longer, you can take your dog to an area where it can temporarily take off the muzzle to rest.
Nevertheless, this one-hour rule only applies to basket muzzles. If your dog uses an occlusion muzzle, ensure not to wear it for more than five minutes because this type is more restrictive. On the other hand, slip muzzles must take at most 10 to 15 minutes.
If you think these recommended periods are not enough for your planned activity, you can continue letting your dog wear a muzzle, given that it does not feel punished or dominated. You can give treats or praises instead to make the experience positive.
How to Train Your Dog to Wear a Muzzle
Canines can have different destructive behaviors, most of which are through their mouth. Thus, you might be looking for a dog muzzle to prevent biting, chewing, or the like.
However, how can you get your furry friend accustomed to wearing muzzles? So, here are steps on how you can train it.
- Bring the dog muzzle and let your dog sniff it for the first time. Patiently show it that muzzles are not bad. Also, you can repeat this step a handful of times while giving treats whenever you do so.
- Touch your dog’s nose using the muzzle or hold the same in front of its face, and have treats in your other hand. Ensure that the treats are almost inside the muzzle. In this technique, your pup will need to put its nose inside the muzzle to eat the food.
- Slide the dog muzzle onto your four-legged friend and give treats afterward. Try removing the muzzle and repeat the process a few more times.
- Put the dog muzzle on your dog and gently fasten it. Again, give treats and remove the muzzle. Repeat the step to create a positive introduction of the thing to your dog.
- Try putting the muzzle on again and remove it once no longer needed. Remember not to let your dog wear it for long periods or unsupervised because it can be dangerous.
How to Choose the Best Muzzle for Dogs That Bite
Even though you already know how to train your dog or what are the best dog muzzles, you will still need to gain ideas on how to select the most suitable product for your furry friend. So, with that said, here are a few things to check when finding your perfect match!
Dog muzzles can also come in different materials, such as plastic, leather, metal, or other synthetic items. You can also opt for soft plastics if you want something easy to clean, comfortable, and soft to the touch.
Meanwhile, muzzles with leather straps are more durable and less likely to irritate. Fabric cages are also advisable because they fit better and allow breathing.
Size and Fit
Also, purchasing the best muzzles for dogs requires accurate measurements of your furry friend’s snout length and girth. That will also help ensure the product will stay on without being excessively restrictive and damaging. Aside from that, various brands have different size standards, so checking the sizing options is necessary to prevent too loose or too fit items.
Another factor to consider when looking for the best dog muzzle for biting is the type or style. For instance, basket muzzles are the most comfortable and breathable, while occlusion ones are the most restrictive. Moreover, short-snout muzzles are perfect for dogs with short noses, and homemade dog muzzles are for emergencies.
Since you are searching for the best dog muzzle to prevent biting, choose the most durable one that can withstand aggressive canines. Furthermore, you can find products made with sturdy metals, leather, or other high-quality materials. Furthermore, you can check the straps to see if there are no loose threads, which can indicate poor stitching.
Muzzles For Dogs That Bite: FAQs
So, do you have more questions about the best muzzle for dogs that bite? Worry not because we got you! You can continue reading these frequently asked inquiries below to guide you further.
Yes. You can use dog muzzles to prevent dog bites. However, it can be harsh to use the same to stop your furry friend from barking, chewing, and other ongoing behavioral problems because these are canine nature. It is advisable to use dog muzzles only whenever they are necessary.
No. You can only let your dog wear a dog muzzle whenever necessary, when supervised, and for short periods. Otherwise, your pup can suffer from overheating or trauma from getting restricted for a long time. Also, Arhant et al.‘s research on the effects of using dog muzzles emphasizes that prolonged use of these things can result in physical damage to fur or skin.
Aside from being the best dog muzzle for biting, Baskerville Ultra Dog Muzzle is also the most preferred product for aggressive canines. It consists of durable materials that can withstand biting and other destructive behaviors. It also lets dogs freely breathe, eat, drink, and pant. Besides, it is lightweight, padded, and comfortable to wear.
Dog muzzles made from vinyl materials can be the best for dogs fond of biting things and people. Since these muzzles are sturdy or rigid enough, canines cannot fold or chew on them. Moreover, those with closed designs will also prevent dogs from reaching objects using their mouths.
If your dog keeps biting, remember not to punish it because that can cause trauma to your furry friend. Instead, you can provide chew toys and supervise your pup until it learns what to chew. Furthermore, you can make it engage in physical and mental exercises to keep it active and reduce its destructive behaviors.
So, if you struggle to deal with your furry friend’s destructive behaviors, using a big or small dog muzzle for biting can be one of your go-to solutions. Nevertheless, remember not to punish your pup with this device or let it wear the same for long periods because that can be harmful. Moreover, dog muzzles are only for keeping everyone safe, not for putting canines at risk.