Are you looking for the best low-sodium dog foods? Then you have landed on the right website! Feel welcome to our complete guide about low sodium food, reviews, and tips, where you are going to learn the pros and cons of this type of food.
From the best-canned dog foods with low sodium contents to the best choices to treat specific ailments such as heart murmurs, we are going to answer all of your doubts in a direct and detailed way.
21 Best Dog Foods With Low Sodium
Now that you have been properly introduced to low-sodium dog food, let us see the top 21 best options on the market. Below, find our reviews that will bring you exclusive insights, so you can make the best decision.
1. Hill’s Science Diet Adult Large Breed Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Recipe
The low-sodium food by Hill’s Science is specially designed for senior, large dogs, featuring a recipe that uses lamb meal as its main protein source. It features 24.3% protein, 16.4% fat and 51.2% carbohydrates, which is a decent distribution of macronutrients.
It contains 0.29% sodium, along with omega-6 fatty acids and vitamin E to support heart health. In addition, the food also contains glucosamine and chondroitin, to keep the joints of your dog healthy. These factors make it outstanding.
According to reviews, dogs love the flavor of the food, and therefore, it does not present the main problem of low-sodium dog food. In addition, owners report that the coat of their dogs looks shinier and healthier. However, some owners mentioned that some bags had a strange odor; nonetheless, not a major issue.
- The food is quite flavorful
- The coat looks healthier and shinier than before
- Highly rich in protein to build linear muscles
- Veterinarian recommended
- The ingredients are easy to digest
- Many owners complained the product was delivered damaged to their homes.
- Some batches smelled funny or strange.
2. Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Chicken & Veggies Recipe Dry Dog Food
The low-sodium dog food by Racheal Ray Nutrish features American farm-raised chicken as its main protein source, as well as chicken fat as its main fat source, and carbohydrates like beet pulp, and brown rice, carrots, and peas. It contains 26% protein, 14% fat, and 42% carbohydrates.
It contains approximately 0.3% of sodium, and as it uses chicken as its main protein source, which is low-sodium meat, you can rest assured that it is adequate for your pup. In addition, it is enhanced with zinc, calcium, phosphorus, and omega-6, and omega-3 fatty acids.
According to reviews, the owners have divided opinions. Some prefer it because it is budget-friendly and has great taste, but some are concerned about the presence of soybean meal, corn gluten meal, and dicalcium phosphate, being the last the most worrying as it can create kidney stones.
- Specifically designed for senior dogs
- Value for money
- Most dogs liked the taste
- Helps in relief from food-related allergies
- The presence of corn gluten meal and dicalcium phosphate may create kidney stones
- If the bag is not closed correctly, the kibble may go hard and stale
3. Earthborn Weight Control
Earthborn features a special low-sodium dog food that is free from grains, gluten-free, and uses chicken meal as its main protein source, which is low-sodium meat. It contains 25% protein, 7% fat, and 50% carbohydrates.
It contains approximately 0.3% of sodium. They have supplemented the food with omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, as well as chondroitin and glucosamine to support joint health. Furthermore, it also contains minerals like calcium and nutrients like vitamin E.
According to the owners, their dogs like the food, which tackles the main issue with low-sodium dog food. Furthermore, the reviews have not reported allergic reactions, which supports its claim of being grain-free and gluten-free. However, some owners have also reported bloating. Therefore, it is important to monitor it if you decide to feed your dog this food.
- Grain-free and gluten-free recipe, which means low chances of allergies
- Dogs have shown better energy levels after taking this food regularly
- Successfully removes itchiness and tear-staining in dogs
- Dogs seem to lose interest in the flavor after some time
- Some dog owners complained about the smell and texture of the food
4. Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated
Honest Kitchen Human Grade brings us their low-sodium dog food that comes in three presentations: Free Range Chicken, Ranch Raised Beef, and Cage-Free Turkey. Because beef and chicken are the lowest in sodium, we are going to focus on them.
The Free Range Chicken contains 25% protein, 14% fat, and 48% carbohydrates. On the other hand, Ranch Raised Beef contains 22.5% protein, 8.5% fat, and 53% carbohydrates. Both versions contain approximately 0.3% of sodium, and for both presentations, they use dehydrated chicken and dehydrated beef respectively, which are better sources of protein than a chicken meal, for instance.
According to reviews, dogs like the taste, and many have reported that it is especially good for small breeds. The only cons they have reported are the price and the content of sodium selenite, but unfortunately, most commercial dog foods include it as well.
- It is excellent for small breeds
- Dogs love the taste of the recipe
- Low sodium content
- Transparent list of ingredients
- Several discounts available from time-to-time
- Many customers have complained about the price
- Many processed foods are included in the recipe
- There can be packaging issues related to freshness
5. Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Dog Food
Wellness brings us their low-sodium dog food that features lamb meal as its main protein source, and healthy carbohydrates such as brown rice, peas, and sweet potatoes. For the fat, it uses chicken fat. It features the following distribution of macronutrients: 24% protein, 12% fat, and 45% carbohydrates.
It contains approximately 0.3% of sodium, and it features add-ons such as omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, as well as minerals and vitamins. In our opinion, it is a decent dry dog food option; however, using chicken fat is not the best way to balance omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
According to reviews, it has a great taste, and overall, dogs like it. Therefore, it gets the job done. However, be aware if your dog has an allergy to chicken because this food contains chicken fat, something that some owners have complained about.
- The recipe seems to have a great taste and flavor.
- It contains high-quality chicken and fresh nutrients
- No added preservatives or meat by-products
- Dogs showed healthy improvement in digestion and playfulness
- Chances of food allergies since the ingredient includes chicken fat
- The diet seemed a bit pricey to some owners
6. Fromm Gold Dog Food Weight Management
Fromm Gold Dog Food brings us their option for low-sodium food that is also low in calories. It features an exclusive blend of duck, chicken, lamb, turkey liver, whole eggs, and Wisconsin cheese. Furthermore, after examining the ingredient list, it also contains fish.
It distributes its macros in the following manner: 25% protein, 10% fat, and 45% carbohydrates. Its only supplements are salmon oil and L-Carnitine, which is helpful for weight loss as it accelerates metabolism.
According to reviews, the dogs love the flavor, and it is thanks to the great mix of ingredients, which are primarily of animal origin. The only thing that owners have complained about is the price because it is quite expensive per bag.
- It is a great dog food to reduce or manage weight
- It is known for high-quality packaging
- The brand is family-owned and operated
- Rich in protein
- Made from high-quality ingredients, including superfoods
- It is quite expensive
- Not very easily available in stores
7. Fruitables Broth Bowls Pet Safe Natural Chicken Food Topper
Now we are going to review a different kind of food. If your pup has problems eating dry food, then you need to moisten it, and the chicken broth by Fruitables is an excellent choice as it makes dry food more palatable.
It solves the main problem of broth usually being high in sodium. However, in this case, it keeps the levels very low so that your dog can consume it without problems. On its own, it is not complete dog food, but it is the ideal way to supplement it. It is completely made with real chicken and it is absent problematic ingredients such as onion or garlic. Instead, it uses mushrooms, carrots, and celery.
According to reviews, the owners have noticed a difference, because their dogs enjoy their meals a lot more, especially if they have been fussy about dry food.
- More palatable dry food
- Made from real chicken and rich ingredients
- Dogs seem to enjoy this recipe a lot more than other dog foods
- It works as a great treat in case you are training your dog
- The treat may go stale if not packed well
- Picky eaters might not like the taste
8. Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets
The low-sodium food by Natural Balance features venison as its main protein source, which is naturally very low in sodium, even more than beef. It is free from grains and fillers and uses sweet potatoes as its source of carbohydrates.
It contains approximately 0.3% of sodium. Breaking it down by macronutrients, it features the following distribution: 20% protein, 10% fat, and 52% carbohydrates. It does not feature add-ons; however, it advertises clearly that it does not include poultry, artificial flavors, or preservatives.
According to reviews, the food has an excellent taste, which makes it great for even picky dogs. Furthermore, owners have not reported allergic reactions, which verifies their claim of not adding grains or fillers.
- The kibble texture is crunchy and promotes oral hygiene
- The food is high in flavor
- It does not contain any fillers or grains
- The diet is available in a variety of flavors
- The smell of the food is pretty strong
- The kibble pieces vary in size
- Some dogs do not like the taste of it
9. Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin
The Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin also happens to be a great low-sodium choice, as it features salmon as the main protein source and the first ingredient. In addition, it comes with dietary fiber to ease up digestion, as well as being free from fillers such as soy meal, corn, and wheat.
It contains approximately 0.3% of sodium. The distribution of macronutrients is the following: 26% protein, 16% fat, and 36% carbohydrates. It also includes important minerals such as zinc and phosphorus, as well as vitamins like Vitamin A and Vitamin E. Additionally, to support joint health, it includes glucosamine.
According to reviews, the dogs love the flavor of the food, which makes adaptation easy. It has even received positive ratings from veterinarians, and owners have reported improvements in the skin health of their pets.
- One of the lowest sodium content dog food on the market
- Exceptionally rich in high-quality protein
- Helpful in food allergies
- Significant improvement in energy level
- Owners complain that the food contains fewer kibbles
- Some dogs suffer from digestion problems after consuming this product
- Few dogs dislike the taste of the product
10. ORIJEN Dry Dog Food Biologically Appropriate & Grain Free
The low-sodium dry dog food by Orijen features an exclusive formula that combines chicken, turkey, mackerel, and eggs, to come up with a high-protein alternative. Its mission is to bring dogs nutrition that meets their biological needs, and therefore, they use meat, organs, and cartilage from the animals, as well as healthy carbohydrates.
It contains approximately 0.3% of sodium, and it features the following distribution of macronutrients: 38% protein, 18% fat, and 32% carbohydrates. They offer low sodium food with the least content of carbohydrates, which is a massive plus. Furthermore, the quality of their protein is superior to most commercial brands.
According to reviews, the dogs absolutely love the flavor, and it is due to the high-quality sources of protein they use, as well as the lack of problematic additives. The only complaints are about the price and size, but after all, it is a premium dog food, and therefore it comes attached to such a price tag.
- Quite an impressive flavor
- The veterinarians highly recommend it
- Improvement in energy levels of dogs
- After a few days of regular feeding, dogs have displayed the shinier and healthier coat.
- Softly baked to make it easy for the dogs to chew
- It is a bit on the expensive side
- It also has the potential for food allergies
11. Royal Canin Small Adult Dry Dog Food
This product is exclusively for small dogs who need a low-sodium diet. The highlight of Royal Canin is that it not only slows aging but also boosts metabolism. Its ingredients include corn, brown rice, chicken fat, brewers rice, chicken by-product meal, and more.
A single package also comprises 35mg/kg L-carnitine, 25.0% crude protein, 14.0% crude fat, and about 3.5% crude fiber, with only 65mg/100kcal of sodium. If Royal Canin is your go-to pup food, your sweet little pup will have a solid chance to be active, healthy, and live a long and happy life.
However, some dog owners have complained that the product doesn’t deliver on its promises, and fillers like corn do not add any value to the dog food. Even the price seems a bit expensive considering it is suitable only for small dogs.
- Suited for small jaws and pups who are picky eaters
- Very low sodium content
- Great for maintaining the weight of small dogs
- Ensures a longer life span
- The kibbles are only big enough for small pups
- Regular dog owners may find it expensive
- Low in protein and fillers like corn added to it
12. Instinct Raw Boost Healthy Weight Dry Grain-Free Recipe
One of the best grain-free food products on the market right now, Instinct Raw Boost Healthy Weight comes packed with real chicken and rich proteins.
The sodium content is about 0.3%, and the rest of the ingredient list is free from artificial colors and preservatives; let’s not forget the by-product meal.
This dog food is made from real chicken, chicken meal, fish meal, peas, tapioca, and many more healthy ingredients. According to reviews, the product is highly rich in protein and falls under the price range of most dog owners.
However, the reviews regarding its taste and quantity are mixed, with many customers suggesting that the product should come in more robust packaging and be more flavorful.
- Rich in protein
- Free from preservatives and artificial colors
- Non-grainy and healthy ingredients
- Frozen and dried raw meat and real chicken which is very healthy for dogs
- Boosts metabolism with L-carnitine
- Many customers feel the packaging can be bigger
- Flavor and taste can be improved
- There are some fillers like peas which may not add much value to the meal
13. Iams ProActive Health Adult MiniChunks Dry Dog Food
The great thing about Iams ProActive is that its ingredients suit all breeds. This is your go-to brand if you want dog food with a good energy source and low sodium.
Its top ingredients include real chicken, 25% protein, 4% fiber, 1.05% calcium, and about 2.05% omega-6 fatty acids. It contains about 0.5% or less sodium and promises strong immunity due to its rich antioxidant nutrients.
The Iams formula helps dogs fight illnesses and infections while ensuring healthy and strong digestion.
As per reviews, even though this crunchy dry dog food keeps the pups healthy, many people have complained that it’s far too expensive for the small package. Even so, the overall rating of the product is quite impressive.
- High-quality chicken with no added flavors
- Contains omega fatty acids
- High in protein which strengthens bones and joints
- The small chunks make it easy for the dog to chew the food
- Quantity may not match the price of the product
- You may not like the smell of the food
- It is a bit pricey
14. Zignature Whitefish LID Grain
The unique thing about this product is that its main ingredient is the Whitefish caught in the Pacific ocean. It is abundantly rich in omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, potassium, selenium, vitamin B6, B12, amino acids, and more.
Zignature Whitefish Formula is naturally low in sodium (0.11%) and contains 78% moisture to enrich your pup’s taste bud while making him healthy and happy!
This limited ingredient formula includes high-quality meat, which means rich proteins. These chickpeas ensure potassium, magnesium, vitamin B, iron, and selenium intake, peas with antioxidants, vitamin C, D, A, phytonutrients, and calcium.
According to reviews, Zignature Whitefish has all the vital nutrients to support your dog’s health. However, as per FDA 2019 report, the brand’s food was listed to have the potential to cause heart diseases.
- Recommended choice for dogs who suffer from a food allergy
- High-quality product
- It’s a meat-first recipe
- Limited ingredient formula
- Suitable for all kinds of breeds
- Must consult your vet before feeding this formula to your dogs due to FDA 2019 report. While there are no recalls, it’s best to be safe.
15. Buffalo Blue W+U Weight Management + Urinary Care Dry Dog Food
Blue Buffalo dog food is one of those low-sodium dog food with the finest ingredients, including high-quality meat, rich sources of protein, a balanced amount of fiber, and calories.
The package is blended with various minerals, nutrients, and antioxidants from peas, potatoes, chicken meal, deboned chicken, flaxseed, and dried tomato pomace – all of which make part of the ingredient list.
The mentioned list makes up 30.0% protein, 10.0% calcium, 17.0% crude fiber, 0.7% phosphorous, 2.0% omega 6 fatty acids, 250 mg/kg L-carnitine and more.
As per reviews, this product is the perfect meal for overweight dogs since it is designed with an exclusive diet containing fiber, fats, and calories. Even so, some customers complain that their dogs bloat after consuming the food. In some dogs, the ingredients such as pomace might also cause allergies.
- The fiber-rich formula that makes way for healthy digestion
- This product’s mixture of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals boosts immunity in dogs.
- The controlled amount of sodium boosts urinary health
- Its carefully designed diet formula helps dogs lose weight
- No artificial flavors or colors
- Can trigger allergies in some dogs
- It might require a veterinarian’s approval before you buy it.
16. Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream-Grain-Free Dog Food
This dry dog food comprises five main ingredients – salmon, ocean fish meal, peas, potatoes, and sweet potatoes. Out of this list, smoked salmon is the top unit rich in omega 3 and 6 fatty acids to provide both adult and young dogs with high energy, good skin, and a boosted metabolism.
With 25% protein, 15% fat, and 3% fiber and superfoods like blueberries, raspberries, and tomatoes, Taste of the Wild Pacific ensures grain-free meals to help your dog live its best life.
As per the reviews, the food ensures lasting energy in your dog and delivers quality. On the other hand, many customers complain that the ingredients may smell, and some also feel that all batches do not contain the same ingredients.
- High in protein (32%)
- The family-owned brand is made in the USA
- Grain-free recipe to ensure maximum absorption of nutrients
- Improved digestion in dogs
- The diet is known to be exceptionally delicious
- No clear depiction of ingredients
- The meal may smell like fish, which picky eaters might not like
- Potatoes and peas may elevate blood sugar levels in some dogs
17. Stella & Chewy’s Dandy Lamb Dinner Patties
Stella & Chewy’s dog food is famous for having more than 70% high-quality animal protein. It is a free-dried, processed food recipe made from 90% grass-fed lamb – spleen, liver, heart, bones, and kidneys.
This also includes minerals, vitamins, and amino acids and keeps the original flavor of the recipe. The rest of the formula only includes organic foods along with prebiotics.
The Stell & Chewy product has less than 0.47% sodium content which is perfect for the health of growing dogs. As per reviews, customers love the dried and raw part of the meal, while some feel that the meat is too complex and stale.
- Minimally processed with maximum flavor
- Made from grass-fed lambs
- 95% high-quality animal protein
- Balanced nutrition closed to a dog’s ideal diet
- Available in various sizes
- It is one of the most trusted dog food brands
- Some customers find that it is too expensive
- The dog may dislike the smell of the dried raw recipe
- The 90% lamb meat may be too much for dogs with sensitive stomachs.
18. Solid Gold Hund-N-Flocken
A holistic blend of low-sodium and rich nutrients, the recipe of this product goes back to 1974, which means it has a legacy of trusted customers.
This long-standing recipe comprises natural nutrients derived from whole grains, pasture-raised lamb, probiotics, rich omega, and superfoods like pumpkin and carrots, which includes 8% crude protein and 15% fiber.
The reviews claim that Solid Gold Hund-N-Flocken is undoubtedly one of the best among dog foods, but some customers also feel that the product should be available in more sizes and packages. Even so, most customers agree that this brand is one of the best dog foods they have come across recently.
- It suits dogs of all ages and breeds
- The rich list of ingredients
- It is recommended by vets and nutritionists
- Great packaging
- Long-standing product recipe
- Packaging gets damaged easily at the time of shipping
- Available in limited size
- Some dog owners think that the smell of the recipe may be too strong for their pets
19. Now Fresh Recipe with Turkey, Salmon, and Duck Dog Food
Now Fresh Recipe with Turkey, Salmon, and Duck promises the best ingredients to support the health of your growing dog. The ingredients, including peas, potatoes, dried eggs, potato flour, salmon, and deboned turkey and duck, are minimally processed to keep the food’s nutrients alive. It also adds more than 20 superfoods, including blueberries and pomegranate, to improve the immunity of dogs of all sizes.
The omega 6 (2.5%) and omega 3 (0.9%) fatty acids keep your dog’s weight in check, and crude protein (26%), crude fiber (4%), calcium (1.1%), L-carnitine (100 mg), and phosphorous (0.7%) together include in the growth of your pup.
As per the reviews, this dog food works well with most dogs, including picky eaters. Some customers considered it a bit pricey, but the brand mostly had good reviews.
- Delicious taste considering most dogs enjoy it
- Fresh ingredients
- Minimal processing
- The recipe is grain-free
- Rich in protein
- Dogs show better energy levels after consuming this recipe
- Dogs display shinier and healthier coats after trying this food
- It can be a bit pricey for some
- The taste of fish may not suit all dogs
20. Arion Fresh Senior Lite
The first thing to learn about Arion Fresh Senior Lite is that it is only for experienced dogs who are slowly growing old and obese. Arion Fresh’s ingredient list includes only high-quality products – 14% bowls of cereal, 4% fresh chicken, which is from part meat and animal derivatives, oils, seeds, minerals, L-carnitine, and vegetable derivates like marigold, fennel, chamomile, etc.
Apart from natural plant fibers, it is abundantly rich in iron, iodine, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium, and more. As per reviews, it is excellent for preventing obesity in old dogs and keeping them healthy, but some customers consider it a bit pricey.
- It is formulated and designed by experts
- It helps in weight control by boosting metabolism
- A great list of ingredients to reduce obesity
- Specifically designed for senior dogs
- Complete with natural plant fibers
- It comes in just two sizes that include 3 kg and 12 kg
- You will have to import it from Europe
21. SPECIFIC CKD Heart and Kidney Support Low Sodium Dog Food
As the name suggests, this low-sodium dog food is designed specifically for dogs suffering from heart, kidney, or liver problems. Apart from being naturally low on sodium, SPECIFIC CKD Heart and Kidney Support are rich in fish oils that keep your dog’s heart healthy.
Unlike other dog foods, this one is low on protein (13%) and phosphorus (0.26%) and helps dogs with kidney problems. Additionally, with high omega-three levels (2.2%), zinc (18%), and L-carnitine levels (70 per 100 gm), it maintains the blood pressure of your pup and keeps a check on the overall heart and kidney functions.
The overall reviews of the brand are mixed, with many dog owners complaining they don’t see the desired results. However, some customers said they had seen improvements in their dogs’ heart and kidney functions.
- They are packed under nitrogen to keep up with the quality of omega-3 fish oils.
- Highly supportive of kidney functions
- Improves blood pressure and heart functions
- It prevents the formation of calcium oxalate, cysteine stones, and urate
- Suitable for dogs of all breeds
- Some customers say that it did not help their dogs with kidney problems
- It comes with a grain diet which may not be healthy for your dog
What Are Low Sodium Dog Foods?
As their name clearly implies, they are special dog foods with a low content of sodium, which serves the role of helping dogs who suffer different ailments, such as kidney failure or heart murmurs. Therefore, such foods are specially designed for dogs on a sodium-restricted diet. Therefore, for our reviews, you are going to see that they contain a maximum of 0.3% sodium.
Nonetheless, sodium still plays a vital role in the health of your pup, because it is in charge of functions such as nerve signal transmission and fluid balance. Only that, such foods maintain at a healthy level, which is essential for dogs with special health issues.
However, according to this study from 2008, most dogs are capable of adapting to different levels of sodium, and unlike humans, they are not likely to develop hypertension. Therefore, you should solely use low sodium foods in case your dog really needs it.
Benefits of Low Sodium Dog Foods
We have already given you a preview about the main use of low sodium food, and it resides in helping dogs that suffer from specific health issues. Let us give it a proper review, so you can understand the great importance behind this type of dog food.
Low sodium is the main feature of heart care dog food because it reduces the number of ions that the heart has to process. This is essential to help a dog suffering from cardiac conditions such as a dilated cardiomyopathy or a mitral valve dysplasia. By easing up the work of the heart of your dog, you will protect its heart health, and hence, allow it to enjoy a better quality of life.
Even though, as we said before, dogs are unlikely to develop hypertension due to sodium, it still happens, and in consequence, the best move is to adopt a sodium-restricted diet. By adding these foods to the diet of your dog, you will help it to keep its blood pressure under control.
If you have noticed that your dog tends to get dehydrated regularly, then it might be due to sodium. In consequence, by reducing its sodium intake, you will get your dog to stay hydrated for a longer time. Furthermore, it is worth noting that too much sodium will make your dog very thirsty, which will lead it to drink too much water, which can result in problems such as excretory issues and kidney problems.
Low Sodium Dog Food – FAQs
Many owners want to know more about low-sodium dog foods because their pets need them. Therefore, we found that many of them tend to ask the same questions, and we brought them a proper answers.
The best way to get your dog to eat low sodium is to bring it low-sodium food that it likes. Your best choice is to go for food with higher moisture, such as canned wet food or homemade wet food. As it is more palatable and tasty, your pup will have an easier time adapting to it.
In case you opt for dry food, then you should add some warm water to it, and wait 10 minutes to allow the aroma and flavors to expand. As a result, your dog will feel it far tastier, and hence, have an easier time adapting to its new sodium-restricted diet. Positive reinforcement goes a long way. Therefore, make sure to praise it when it finishes eating, and reward it with a low-sodium treat.
The best dog food for heart disease must be low in sodium, and in that group, we find options such as Earthborn Weight Control, Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin, and Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated. On top of having a low content of sodium, they are packed with nutrients that will help your pup.
In case you prefer a food with a high concentration of protein, then you can opt for Orijen Dry Dog Food, as it contains 38% protein and high-quality ingredients. They will help your dog to process fewer ions that come from sodium, and hence, give their heart an easier time, and in consequence, reduce the complications attached to heart disease.
While some dog foods are high in sodium, for healthy pups, it is not a concern because they can easily adapt to varying levels of sodium, and the excess of it is excreted via urine. However, make sure that the total intake sits at 5-7 mg of sodium per pound.
According to studies, the ideal rate sits at 5 to 7 mg of sodium per pound, which would be approximately 12 to 15 mg per kilo. However, as every dog is different, see how it reacts to different levels of sodium.
However, it is worth noting that most dogs can get rid of excess sodium when they urinate, and therefore, the risk of consuming too much sodium reduces radically.
Therefore, unless your dog suffers from a condition like heart disease, you should not worry too much about its sodium consumption, because its heart is perfectly capable of processing the sodium ions properly.
The meats lowest in sodium are beef, chicken, and fish, especially cod and catfish. Additionally, we can also include eggs and seafood. Therefore, you can use these ingredients, such as beef and chicken, to come up with your own low-sodium meals for your pup.
Of course, the key to keeping their low content of sodium is to not add any extra salt, so that the meats can preserve their properties, and hence, help your dog with its diet.
Make sure to always check the nutritional contents on the label of dog food. You can compare and analyze these percentages to check for low sodium dog food before making a purchase.