Dogs are pretty much active animals. They like to play and jump around the household. Plus, when they get extra excited, they can take a big leap off of the couch. Not all houses own portable pet ramps, though. As a result, dogs will most likely hurt themselves by jumping too much.
Jumping is dangerous since it can damage a dog’s joints. As pet owners, we can do something to lessen that situation. Hence, if you want to solve that problem, you have come to the right article. Check out the best dog ramps for outside steps listed below.
13 Best Dog Ramp For Outside Steps
Some dogs can’t reach certain heights. Well, ramps are an excellent solution. Finding the perfect ramp for your furry friend is a difficult decision to make. But you don’t have to worry since this article gathered the top 13 best dog ramps for outside steps.
1. The Paw Ramp by Alpha Paw
We found The Paw Ramp can be helpful for those with outside stairs and steps by providing a safe and secure way for their dogs to navigate them. Its adjustable height feature can be set to the perfect height to match the stairs or steps. The durable materials (wood and stainless steel) and the non-slip surface () of the ramp ensure that dogs can climb up and down safely without slipping or injuring themselves.
Additionally, the ramp is portable and can be easily moved from one location to another, making it ideal for use on stairs or steps leading to a porch or deck. Overall, the Paw Ramp can make life easier for dogs and their owners by providing a safe and convenient way to navigate outdoor stairs and steps.
- No tools are needed (it arrives fully assembled)!
- Adjustable height, portable, and foldable.
- American brand, vet-approved.
- Ideal for beds up to 24” inches.
- Unsuitable for dogs over 80 lbs.
2. Petstep Original Folding Pet Ramp
If you’re looking for a sturdy yet portable dog ramp, this Petstep folding ramp is ideal for you. This product has a sleek, foldable, and non-slip rubber design that’s perfect for dogs even on rainy days. Further, it’s pet friendly and lessens dysplasia and arthritis in pets.
Some customers weren’t satisfied with this product. According to their reviews, this ramp broke after the second usage. This item is heavy and hard to set up as well. Plus, people don’t recommend this since it’s a bit costly.
- It has a capacity to hold a maximum of 500 lbs
- It’s rust-proof and can be cleaned with soap and water
- It’s portable and can be stored in cars
- It’s bulky and difficult to set up
- The middle part bounces every time a dog walks through
- It’s not suitable for large dogs since its very narrow
3. PetSafe Happy Ride Folding Dog Ramp for SUVs, Cars, and Trucks
As a pet owner, a lightweight dog ramp can be useful during travels. Well, this Petsafe multi-vehicle ramp could be the one for you. This dog ramp only weighs about 10 lbs. It also has a safety latch on it. Thus, it’s pet safe and can be easily set up.
On the contrary, some of the reviews stated that this pet ramp is made of plastic. Unfortunately, it’s not stable in the middle. Another complaint is its steep and slippery surface. Also, this ramp doesn’t hold the advertised weight limit since it broke at 80 lbs.
- It weighs 10 lbs. Hence, it’s lightweight
- It’s durable and can be used on road trips
- It’s suited to support up to 150 lbs
- The ramp is shaky
- It is not suitable for large dogs
- It has a slippery surface
4. Pet Gear SupertraX Portable Ramps for Dogs and Cats, Maximum Traction Surface
This Pet Gear SupertraX is one of the best pet ramps for large dogs on the market. Moreover, it has a SupertraX matting that’s non-slip and removable. It’s perfect for both cats and dogs. Also, it’s manufactured as bi-folding, making this ramp handy for pet owners.
Despite being made from lightweight materials, this pet ramp has minor disadvantages. The item has some loose hooks and screws. It’s too short and doesn’t work on most of the back doors of vehicles as well. Further, this item is too steep and narrow for large pets.
- It weighs only 11 lbs
- It has rubberized matting for a non-slip grip
- It has a weight capacity of 150 to 200 lbs
- It’s relatively too short
- It doesn’t fit in small passenger cars
- The screws and touch fasteners are easily detached
5. PetSafe Dog Ramp Happy Ride Half II for Low Cars, Vans, and Minivans
The PetSafe Happy Ride is also among the best pet ramps being sold worldwide. This was made to be used on heights as low as 18 inches. It’s a pet-friendly product and also has a good traction surface. Furthermore, it’s a good combination of lightweight and sturdy.
This ramp appears durable but its non-slip function failed. Also, buyers weren’t happy with its wide-opening design. Sadly, it doesn’t fit on the back door of most cars. Plus, some reviews don’t recommend buying this since it bounces upon usage and lacks stability.
- It’s a 9 lbs high traction ramp
- It’s portable and good for small vehicles
- It has a weight capacity of 200 lbs
- The materials appear tacky and badly glued
- The walking surface is hard and can injure pets
- It’s too steep for small dogs
6. PetSafe Deluxe Happy Ride Telescoping Pet Ramp for Trucks, Cars, and SUVs
Finding a ramp for big dogs can be hard. Well, this PetSafe Happy Ride Deluxe could be the one you’re looking for. It’s the best ramp for large dogs since it has a whopping 400 lbs weight capacity. Also, it has adjustable sizes that you can fit in most cars.
On the contrary, customers complain about its surface. Instead of a pet-friendly walking area, the ramp is covered with harsh sandpaper. Its surface caused injuries to dogs when they used it. Plus, some reviews stated that this product is poorly made and unstable.
- It weighs 13 lbs and also supports up to 400 lbs
- It’s a lightweight and adjustable traction ramp
- It’s easy to set up and store
- The locks are not secure
- It’s mostly made of plastic and very little aluminum
- Its edges are sharp
7. Pet Gear Stair Ramp StRamp Pet Combo for Dogs and Cats
Another one on the list of the best dog ramp for outside steps is the Pet Gear StRamp Combo. This is a free-standing ramp so you don’t have to support it. Also, another good thing about this is its supertraX matting that’s removable. Plus, it can be cleaned with soap and water.
The main disadvantage of this product is its suitability. This isn’t made for large dogs since it’s too small. Its walking area is also too steep so dogs slip when they walk through. Moreover, the matting is not carpeted, instead, it’s made of plastic.
- It has rubber feet for stability
- At 8 lbs, it’s lightweight and can hold up to 150 lbs
- It has a free-standing design
- Its height is a bit low
- Some nails under the matting bulge
- It’s too steep and difficult to disassemble
8. Gen7Pets Natural Step Ramp for Vehicles
If you want a ramp with natural-looking, non-slip grasses, then go for this Gen7Pets product. This is one of the best dog ramps since it’s suitable for tall heights with its 72 inches length. Also, it has a wide pet-friendly surface with rubber grippers on its sides.
Meanwhile, most owners stated that this ramp is heavy. Its design is bulky and doesn’t fit in the backseat. Another thing that’s concerning is suitability. It’s too steep that most large dogs are afraid to use it.
- It has a 16-inch walking area
- It weighs 17 lbs but it’s easy to carry since it has a handle
- It has a high traction poly grass matting
- Its safety latch lock can scratch the car surface
- Its plastic casing looks cheap and breaks easily
- It bounces when dogs over 100 lbs walk on it
9. Chasing Tails Dog Ramp for Bed – Traction Non-Slip Wood Ramp for Small-Sized Pets
The best pet ramp for small dogs is no other than this Chasing Tails bed ramp. This product has a sharp design that blends well with your home furniture. Together with its non-slip capacity, it’s built with side rails that provide extra protection for pets.
This product is good, yet one of its disadvantages is its durability. Upon receiving this item, most customers reported that its hinges were already loose. Plus, its height is relatively short, so it cannot reach the bed. Nevertheless, you can make DIY dog ramps for a bed to help your pup. This item is also too steep for old dogs to climb.
- Its ideally made for 70 lbs dogs of all ages
- It has a solid design for easy storage
- Its adjustable height varies from 10 to 20 inches
- The screws are a bit loose
- Its side rails are damaged easily
- The materials were bonded poorly
10. PetMaker Ramp for Cars – Folding, Non-Slip Ramp for Dogs
Portability is one of the main factors to consider in choosing the best dog ramp. Thus, this bi-folding pet ramp should be your first choice. It has a folding lock so you can maneuver it easily without accidents. Aside from its accessibility, this ramp helps senior dogs with joint problems.
Meanwhile, some buyers thought otherwise. Based on their reviews, this product’s sandpaper surface is disadvantaged. It doesn’t provide the proper traction as advertised since it only contributes to foot pad burns. Further, it’s steep and narrow, so most dogs fear it.
- It has a non-slip and foldable design
- It can carry weight up to 150 lbs
- It has side rails for extra precautions
- It’s too narrow and steep for large dogs
- It doesn’t have a safety latch for vehicles
- It’s slippery and unstable
11. Pawnotch Made in USA Adjustable Pet Ramp for All Cats and Dogs
This made-in-the-USA dog ramp is probably one of the best pet ramps for small dogs. It’s made from Baltic birch which is stronger than other woods. Well, this is also best for low heights like couches. It has a foldable design so you can keep it wherever you like. Plus, it’s adjustable from 14 to 24 inches.
This wooden adjustable ramp is good yet it only has a few issues. This item is 16.76 lbs heavy so owners cannot carry this around whenever they like. Also, some reviews stated that this looked sturdy yet it had few splinters on it.
- It has both adjustable and collapsible features
- It holds at least 200 lbs of weight
- It has maximum paw traction
- Some wood parts have cracks
- It’s not suitable as a bed ramp
- It’s shaky for dogs above 150 lbs
12. DoggoRamps Hardwood Dog Ramp for Couch
As a pet owner, looking for the best pet ramp for small dogs is a challenge. You need to consider factors such as height, size, and durability first. So, this DoggoRamps adjustable product could be the one for you. It’s made from quality hardwood materials. Also, it has a high traction 14 inches wide surface.
Customers love this product. Yet, like any other wooden ramp, this too is quite heavy. Plus, another disadvantage is its height. This is only meant for small dogs and low heights. Although it’s adjustable, the incline becomes too steep when used for beds.
- It’s made of sturdy yet collapsible materials
- It’s made of solid wood and can support up to 150 lbs
- Its best used by small dogs
- It doesn’t have a railing
- It’s not suitable for large dogs
- It’s not meant to be used at tall heights
13. AmazonBasics Universal Plastic Tri-Fold Pet Ramp for Trucks, Cars, or SUV
This AmazonBasics ramp is also one of the best dog ramps for outside steps. It has a portable trifold design which allows pet owners to carry it easily. It’s made of thick plastic with a high traction surface. Moreover, it’s good for small to medium-sized dogs.
On the contrary, some customers didn’t have the same reaction. According to them, the product is not sturdy and small pieces of plastic fell after a few uses. Also, the car connector may not work. You still need to support the ramp since it slides off.
- It’s ideal for dog breeds below the 100 lbs weight
- It has a unique tri-fold design
- It can reach tall heights with its 63 inches length
- It’s not meant for large and heavy dogs
- It’s slippery hence it needs more traction
- Some parts arrived cracked
What to Look For in a Pet Ramp
Some dogs have difficulty getting in the car or reaching the couch. So, it’s undeniable that ramps are essential. Yet, how do you pick the perfect pet ramp? Well, here are the things you should consider in buying the best dog ramp.
Dr. Jay McDonnell, a veterinary neurologist, stated that the main purpose of ramps is to help dogs reach certain heights. Moreover, it protects canines from injuries that they may acquire during jumping.
Plus, ramps ensure senior, injured, or small dog breeds like Beagles don’t further harm themselves.
According to Alpha Paw, dog ramps depend on your pet’s weight. For instance, plastic ramps are only suitable for toy breeds. In contrast, metal ramps are more durable and ideal for large, heavy dogs. At the same time, wooden ramps are the best dog ramps since it’s sturdy and good for different weights.
As a pet owner, you need ramps that will last for a long time. Based on Fotor, metal and wood are durable. Thus, these two can make the best dog ramps. Still, the only difference is that wooden ramps are for homes and metal ones are for outdoors.
Another factor in buying the best dog ramp for outdoor steps is its price. Pet ramps range from 50 to 100 dollars. Yet, if you’re on a budget then according to Hill’s Pet, you can build a dog ramp. Also, creating one gives a good value for your money.
Why Do Dogs Need to Use a Ramp?
American Kennel Club stated that ramps are most beneficial to senior dogs or small dog breeds. They added that old dogs have joint and bone problems. Smaller dogs, too, have long bodies and short legs, which is difficult for them to jump. Moreover, they need ramps to reach certain heights.
When dogs jump, they risk bone and joint injuries. Well, that’s mainly the reason why dogs need to use ramps. Plus, owners use the best lightweight dog ramps to prevent their pets from jumping-related accidents. The common injuries are as follows:
- Sore muscles
- Hip luxation
Jumping is also good exercise but as canines age, their bodies become weary as well. Meanwhile, according to Dogster, sometimes active dogs stop jumping. Problems such as back pain, injury to the rear legs, or infected anal glands can make a dog hesitant to jump. So, the only solution for dogs to reach certain places is to have ramps.
In addition, Colleen Demling, a dog behaviorist, stated that pet ramps are a must for large dog breeds. That is because dogs like Saint Bernards and Golden Retrievers are heavy and at risk for hip dysplasia.
Outdoor Dog Ramps: FAQ
Dog ramps aren’t only meant for indoor steps; they’re used for road trips too. Also, with these ramps, dogs can go in and out of the car easily. Thus, check out these frequently asked questions about the best dog ramps for outside steps.
According to Veterinarians Org, a dog ramp is more efficient to use than dog stairs. Ramps cause less pressure on joints and are suitable for senior dogs. Further, in using ramps, canines don’t have to move back and forth as they do on stairs.
The best dog ramps need proportion. According to Patrick Mahaney, DVM, ramps shouldn’t be too steep. He added that small dogs have a proper angle of 18 to 25 degrees. Whereas in medium to large dogs, it’s 22 to 25 degrees.
For arthritic dogs, moving up and down can be painful. Using the stairs puts more pressure on a senior dog’s affected joint. Ramps are much better since it’s easier to use and causes less pain. Also, it provides comfort while walking.
Ramps prevent dogs from injuries when jumping so buying one is worth it. Plus, using the best dog ramps for outside steps makes your life easier too. Think about it. You don’t need to lift your dog anymore since a ramp can do that work.
For dogs with mobility problems, using ramps is better and painless compared to stairs. Ramps require simple movement. So, it has low friction, and it’s less tiring. But, like humans, dogs too, prefer ramps because it requires less effort and joint rotation.
Jumping is a good exercise, but it can also cause issues in dogs. So, the solution to that problem is to provide pets with a lightweight dog ramp. Ramps are easy to use and it also reduces joint aches. Still, before buying one, make sure to consult an expert first.