Fleas are not only annoying but also very dangerous because they can transmit serious diseases, infections, and parasites to your dog. Fortunately, our top 12 best carpet flea killers will keep them away from your pets.
12 Best Flea Killers for Carpets
Here you have our unbiased and in-depth analysis of the top carpet flea sprays and powders. Every review points out what makes each option worthy of being here. So, here is the list!
Our Best Pick:
Well, the first one and the most highly recommended among customers is this Virbac Knockout E.S. It kills fleas and ticks and also prevents further infestation by destroying their reproductive growth. Well, if you want to know more, check out the other customers’ reviews below about the best carpet flea killers.
1. Vibrac Knockout E.S
The Vibrac Knockout E.S provides a practical way to treat specific areas with a capacity to cover up to 2,100 square feet with a simple 16 oz. can. It kills the fleas hidden deep in the carpet fiber, upholstery, drapes, rugs, floor cracks, and pet bedding. Additionally, it prevents infestations for up to 7 months thanks to its content of Nylar, an effective insect growth regulator. It does not leave disgusting odors nor cause stains.
It outstands thanks to Nylar, because it disrupts their development, and therefore, it stops them from reproducing. Also, it attacks the root of the problem by ending its lifecycle, and hence, it’s one of the best carpet flea removers on the market. According to reviews, it’s a good choice for chemically-sensitive people, because it doesn’t spark allergies. Moreover, you need to supplement it with plenty of vacuuming to deliver the promised results, and in some cases, you have to repeat the treatment to kill all the fleas.
- Covers large areas up to 2,100 square feet.
- Actively kills fleas and ticks upon first contact.
- It can stop pest infestation for 7 months.
- Also, this product doesn’t contain allergens.
- It doesn’t leave a residue.
- This has permethrin which is toxic for some animals, particularly cats.
- Its spray function seems to be faulty.
- Some customers suffered nausea and headache upon spraying.
2. Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Yard and Kennel Spray
Vet’s Best features a potent plant-based formula with certified natural oils (extracted via steam distillation) like clover and peppermint to kill adult fleas as well as eggs and larvae. It’s specially designed for outdoor use, because thanks to its hose attachment and plant-friendly composition, you can treat gardens, patios, turf, yards, kennels, and other outside areas. You can cover up to 5,000 square feet with a single 32 oz. spray with easy application.
According to reviews, its irrigation mechanism allows you to cover extensive areas in a timely manner. It’s also effective against biting bugs, ticks and mosquitoes, making it ideal for controlling outdoor plagues. Furthermore, it’s 100% organic and has a pleasant aroma. Nonetheless, they need to improve the connector for the hose, because according to some customers, it tends to break off. However, it still takes its place as one of the best carpet flea removers.
- It’s built with aromatic natural oils.
- This is naturally made and plant-based.
- Kills ticks, fleas, and even mosquitos.
- It has clove and peppermint that act as natural pesticides.
- It’s easy to use and cost-effective.
- The mosquito-killing effect is short-lived.
- Some products arrived with leaks and damage.
- The nozzle broke upon first use.
3. HARTZ UltraGuard Plus Flea & Tick Home Spray
The Hartz UltraGuard Plus kills fleas in their different stages: eggs, larvae, pupae, and adult forms. Its powerful and odor-eliminating formula keeps larvae and eggs away for 7 months; hence, it prevents re-infestation and is perfect to treat new areas before you move in. Furthermore, it also kills ticks thanks to its active formulation of pyriproxyfen, phenothrin, and piperonyl butoxide, which are ingredients proven to annihilate plagues effectively. Thus it’s one of the best carpet flea removers because it targets them directly.
Reviews vouch for its effectiveness in treating secluded areas and rooms. It kills fleas instantly; therefore, it’s amazing for direct application. It will get rid of all the fleas that have invaded your carpet, rugs, pet bedding, or any other area in your home. Furthermore, it works very well for eliminating bed bugs, flies, and fruit flies, as reported by the reviews. However, its formula is very strong, and therefore, you have to be extra careful when applying it. Always take the children and pets out of the area to treat. Finally, keep in mind that if you intend to treat large areas, you’ll need more bottles of Hartz UltraGuard Plus, because they run out relatively quickly.
In conclusion, it does exactly what it advertises, and in comparison with other options in the market, it’s significantly less expensive, especially if you need to treat large rooms.
- Kills fleas and ticks as fast as 10 minutes.
- Prevents many tick-related diseases such as Hepatozoonosis and Tularemia
- It also prevents flea and tick re-infestation for up to 7 months
- It can kill as many as 250000 fleas in 30 days.
- The bottle arrived broken and dirty.
- This causes allergies in some pets.
- The flea spray canister only lasts for 1 week.
4. Zodiac Carpet and Upholstery Aerosol Spray
The Zodiac Carpet and Upholstery Aerosol Spray features a water-based formula that kills fleas in all of their forms without leaving odors or stains. It uses a strong combo of S-Methoprene and Permethrin, 2 powerful growth regulators and insecticides, to kill fleas instantly. Furthermore, it contains Precor, a potent egg inhibitor, to take care of pupae, stopping infestations in their tracks. Its aerosol presentation makes it ideal for cleaning carpets, rugs, upholstery, and pet bedding.
Customers confirm that it’s excellent as an instant knock-down flea killer, and therefore, one of the best carpet flea sprays. Furthermore, it’s also effective against bed bugs and ticks, which proves its power for stopping plagues. Customers confirm that it does not leave chemical odors, and therefore, it is a great choice for sensitive people. In addition, it’s easy to apply. Nonetheless, it leaves a bit of oily residue; however, it is easy to claim and doesn’t leave stains.
- The small 16 oz container covers up to 2,000 square meters.
- It has flea and tick prevention technology for up to 7 months.
- Kills pests upon contact.
- It doesn’t leave any odor or white residue.
- It’s best for spot treatments and not the whole floor.
- The consistency is too foamy.
- It takes too long for the product to dry.
5. SENTRY Home Household Flea and Tick Spray
Fabricated by SENTRY Pet Care, a legit company from the USA. It contains a stack of Pyriproxyfen, Tetramethrin, Permethrin, and MGK-264 to kill fleas instantly and prevent the development of eggs, larvae, and pupae into the adult stage. It provides protection for up to 210 days and its application is perfect for carpets, rugs, drapes, and upholstery because it leaves no sticky mess or stains.
Customers vouch for the effectiveness of its powerful knockout combo, which boosted by MGK-264, ensures the instant kill of fleas, and importantly, the disruption of their natural development. It brings instant results, and in consequence, it’s one of the best carpet flea removers. Nonetheless, the nozzle needs improvement as it tends to break off. Furthermore, remember to take all the pets and people out of your home when spraying it.
- It’s safe to use around pets of all ages.
- Can kill up to 5,000 flea eggs.
- This product prevents the reproduction of fleas and ticks for 210 days.
- It kills pests deeply hidden in rags or carpets.
- The nozzle was missing upon arrival.
- Some owners said that it doesn’t work as advertised.
- You have to use the product often to effectively kill pests.
6. Raid Flea Killer Plus & Room Spray
The Raid Carpet Flea Killer is an effective way to kill fleas that live in carpets, rugs, upholstery, drapes, and any other area where they use fiber and dirt to protect. It kills adult fleas upon contact and neutralizes the hatching of eggs for up to 4 months. It leaves no stains or sticky messes, and thanks to its spray presentation, you can cover practically any area. When combined with regular vacuuming, it’s effective against heavy infestations.
Based on feedback, it disrupts the lifecycle of fleas effectively, because it attacks eggs and prevents fleas from reproducing. Furthermore, they confirm it leaves no stains or residues on carpets and upholstery. Moreover, its wide-angle spray brings you better coverage, to make the most out of the spray. Nonetheless, you will need one can to treat a single room.
- This effectively kills fleas and ticks upon contact.
- Prevents the spreading of pests for up to 4 months.
- This works best with heavy flea and tick infestations.
- It’s good for indoor use.
- It doesn’t leave white residue on floors.
- It’s quite expensive for a 16 oz container.
- You have to spray often for it to be effective.
7. Fleabusters Rx for Fleas Plus
Fleabusters Rx for Fleas Plus is fabricated by Pest Peeve and features an all-natural formula that combines diatomaceous earth, yarrow flower powder, and neem leaf powder. It’s 100% safe for dogs. An alternative for people who prefer to deal with infestations of fleas is the organic way. It’s completely safe for people and pets, and therefore, holistic veterinarians recommend it.
According to reviews, it’s safe to apply even with your pets around, therefore, it is ideal for the indoors. In addition, it leaves a pleasant aroma, perfect for people who are sensitive to chemical odors. Furthermore, they offer a pest-free guarantee, to ensure that you’re satisfied with the results of their product. Nonetheless, consider that it takes longer to work than chemical products. For heavy infestations, it can take up to one month to kill all the generations of fleas. In conclusion, one of the best carpet flea powders in existence.
- It has a fine and statically charged powder.
- It’s odorless and non-staining.
- A very small amount of powder goes a long way.
- The powder is fine, so it’s easy to spread it on carpets.
- Borate powder is a good termiticide, insecticide, and fungicide.
- The packaging was defective.
- It’s not good for people with chemical sensitivity.
- The consistency of the boric powder is not the same.
8. HARRIS Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade
The HARRIS Diatomaceous flea killer was designed to kill pests in an easier and faster way. It came from the natural remains of freshwater earth diatoms which were grounded into a fine white insect-killing powder. Well, diatoms are good at absorbing moisture, so scientists invented a way for them to become insecticides. As a form of insecticide, the diatomaceous earth absorbs all moisture from the flea or tick’s body, leaving them dry and dying.
Moreover, this flea carpet killer is the best since it doesn’t have any additives or fillers, so it’s 100% made of freshwater diatomaceous substance. Also, what most customers love about this product is that this is Organic Mineral Research Institute-approved. That means, it has proof of being made from naturally occurring elements. Other than that, every package also includes a powder duster so it’s easier to apply the flea-killing product on any portion of your house.
- It’s natural and safe around pets and children.
- This product is made from pure Diatomaceous Earth powder.
- It doesn’t have any filler or additives.
- A powder duster is included in the package for easy application.
- It doesn’t kill bugs.
- This flea powder even attracts roaches.
- Some products arrived with a hole at the bottom.
9. Natural Care Tick and Flea Spray for Dogs
Another organic tick and flea killer is this Natural Care pest remover. This a well-known product that not only kills fleas and ticks but also mosquitos too. It uses the natural insect-killing properties of cloves and peppermint. Also, other than its insecticide effects, the natural oils from the said plants produce aromatic soothing effects. Moreover, since this is a plant-based product, this is safe for puppies and kittens as young as 12 weeks old.
The cloves here produce a natural oil called eugenol. Also, eugenol is an active ingredient that has analgesic and anesthetic properties. Further, this compound is an insect killer and yet remains safe for dogs, cats, and even humans.
- It’s safe for dogs and cats as young as 12 weeks old.
- It has botanical oils such as clove and peppermint extracts.
- Kills fleas, ticks, and even mosquitos.
- It’s natural and yet strong enough to kill pests upon contact.
- This is safe to use on carpets, bedding, and pillows.
- The peppermint scent can be too harsh for dogs.
- It takes too long to dry.
- Some owners reported that the spray scares their dogs.
10. Adams Carpet Powder With Linalool, Pyrethrins, and Nylar
The Adams Carpet Powder is a one-pound active insect killer that can treat up to 2 rooms using a single canister. It comes with a fresh citrus scent that leaves the room smelling good. Also, the active ingredients when it comes to destroying fleas, ticks, and mosquitos are none other than Linalool, Nylar, and Pyrethrins.
According to customers, this is the best carpet flea cleaner since it actively kills pests upon contact. Moreover, this is cost-effective since a single canister can last a long way. Well, it can cover rooms for up to 400 square meters with just a single buy. Further, since 1995, the Adams company has been protecting homes and pets against unwanted pests and insects, so, pet owners can trust this product.
- It offers flea and tick protection for up to 30 days.
- Kills pests upon contact fast.
- Destroys flea larvae for up to 365 days.
- This can be combined with different products to achieve the best results.
- Kills 95% of pests sticking in yards, lawns, and homes.
- This doesn’t set on carpets.
- Upon vacuuming the powder blew up everywhere.
- Most customers suffered burning eyes and throat upon using this.
11. PETARMOR Home Carpet Powder for Fleas and Ticks
The PetArmor flea carpet powder is a wonderful pest-killing product in the market. Most customers recommend this product since it can kill fleas and ticks upon contact. Yet, there are instances when you need to reapply more than once though. Well, owners do that to ensure maximum pest removal. Also, according to science, fleas can lay up to 50 eggs per day. So, pet owners need a more concentrated flea and tick killer like this PetArmor product.
Moreover, this product is available in a 16 lbs canister that can cover up to 400 square meters. Also, effects can last up to 7 months, so there’s no need to bother yourself with buying another canister for quite some time.
- This can kill more than 50 flea eggs per day.
- The 16 oz flea and tick powder last long for months.
- It has a fresh clean scent that’s pleasant for dogs and humans.
- It’s available in 3 variations.
- Some products arrived with very strong scents.
- It also doesn’t set in carpets so it blew up upon vacuuming.
- You have to do multiple applications to be effective.
12. Durvet No Bite IGR Flea and Tick Spray
Last but not least on our list is this Durvet No Bite flea carpet killer. According to reviews, a single spray treatment of this product can kill and prevent further pest infestations for up to 210 days or 7 months. Moreover, it kills fleas and ticks upon contact so you don’t have to worry about reapplying the product.
Also, this doesn’t leave any stains or bad odor. It’s gentle and yet actively destroys pests hidden deep in beddings, carpets, or furnishings. In addition, it doesn’t only kill fleas and ticks, but also, destroys their life cycle, so they cannot grow into adults and infect dogs and cats. Plus, what makes this product even better is that this can be used around pets of all ages.
- This effectively kills fleas and ticks of all stages.
- Stops fleas in reaching their adult biting stage.
- A single spray’s effects can last for up to 7 months.
- It reaches and kills pests deeply hidden in rags or carpets.
- Some pet owners claimed that this doesn’t work as advertised.
- It was too expensive considering its size.
Flea Development Stages
A flea develops in four stages:
- Egg – The female flea lays the eggs on the host (up to 2,000 during their lifetime!), but they quickly dry and fall off to infest the environment. For example, they prefer carpet fiber, because it increases their chances to develop to their adult stage. It also includes upholstery, wooden floor, clothing, and pet bedding
- Larva – After 2 days approximately, the eggs hatch and the larvae emerge. They begin to feed on flea dirt present in the environment. Before entering into pupa mode, they must undergo three molts
- Pupa – After 15 days approximately, once in pupa mode, they start the final stage to become an adult flea. The cocoon that covers them during this stage is highly-resistant to external factors to ensure their survival while they remain dormant, waiting for a host
- Adult – Once there is an available host, they emerge to begin the infestation. They lay the eggs at a rapid pace and create flea dirt to feed the new generation to repeat the lifecycle. They can live up to 6 weeks.
The lifecycle of a flea makes it a seriously problematic infestation because they can be present even at the most spotless home because traditional cleaning methods won’t kill fleas in their pupa form. Thus, you need a solution proven to annihilate this plague-like a carpet flea killer.
What Is a Carpet Flea Killer?
A carpet flea killer is a product used to destroy the fleas that use carpet fiber and dirt to protect from the environment. They come as powders, sprays, and foggers. Flea killers protect your pet from serious diseases like:
- Flea Allergy Dermatitis (FAD)
- Anemia – A life-threatening condition especially in puppies
- Hot Spots
- Plague – The worst disease a flea can transmit
You also must know that they can affect you and your family. For instance, Bartonellosis affects humans and is known as Cat Scratch Fever (CSD). It produces diarrhea, seizures, fever, and vomiting.
It also causes a health care cost of over $12 million USD in the USA and its incidence only keeps growing. A big motivation to start preventing fleas from infecting your pets and your family.
Unlike a dog flea treatment, a carpet flea killer prevents the problem by killing the plague before it attacks your dog and family.
It will save you tons of money in medical and veterinarian treatments, and of course, save you from the stress of seeing your dog or loved ones suffering from a flea-borne disease.
Thanks to our top 10 best carpet flea killers, you will bring your home the protection it needs, to keep all these problems at bay!
How To Pick The Right Flea Killing Spray & Powder
To choose the best carpet flea killer, you must ensure that it kills fleas upon contact, disrupts their lifecycle, and contains chemicals that will not damage your pets or trigger allergic reactions. Furthermore, you also need to consider the severity of the infestation.
Kill Fleas Immediately
A typical infestation has populations of adult fleas that will attack your dog and family. Therefore, you must ensure that your powder or flea spray for dogs kills them upon contact; in consequence, it must have certain ingredients like Pyrethrins and Linalool, which have been found to be highly effective against blood-sucking pests.
For example, the Bio Spot Active Care Powder has a high concentration of Pyrethrins (75%) supplemented with Linalool at 2.5%, which kills adult fleas instantly, which is fundamental for bringing instant relief, especially for heavy infestations.
Another example is Adams Plus Flea and Tick Carpet Spray, which contains etofenprox, an insecticide that kills fleas in as little as 15 minutes of application. A strong reason why it’s one of the best carpet flea sprays in the market nowadays.
In consequence, that is why many of our best carpet flea killers combine both kinds, to kill them instantly and prevent their further development, hence, removing fleas in all of their stages.
You should always check the content of the flea treatment for carpets before using it, to ensure that it will not affect your pets or family. Fortunately, most products, like our top ten, advise you if you should take everyone out of the area to treat.
For instance, we have one of our best carpet flea killers, HARTZ UltraGuard Plus, which clearly tells you that the area to treat must be clear of people and animals. Nonetheless, once the area has been treated and ventilated, your family and pets can come back without problems.
However, the FDA, due to their serious risks to women and children, bans flea insecticides like Dursban. Therefore, it’s always worth it to check the principal components of the spray or powder to use, to ensure that it will not pose serious health threats.
Severity of Flea Infestation
A flea infestation can build up quickly, and therefore, evolve from unnoticed to heavy in a matter of days. Therefore, for heavy and intense infestations, it’s always better to pick a flea insecticide that contains powerful agents like Pyrethrins to kill fleas in their adult stage, and growth regulators like Nylar, to stop the development of the new generations.
Hence, it’s better to reserve all-natural treatments for milder cases, because when dealing with strong infestations, you will need strong pesticides to kill these parasites, and furthermore, agents like S-methoprene to inhibit their growth.
It’s also important to check that none of the ingredients will trigger an allergic reaction to your family members or pets. Therefore, if your dogs or family is very sensitive to chemicals, you can use holistic treatments like Fleas Are History that contains 100% natural and organic ingredients.
Nonetheless, as we have seen above, for heavy infestations you will need harder chemicals that will kill them upon contact and disrupt their lifecycle. In such cases, you must take everyone out of the house or area to treat for as long as necessary.
Preventive Measures from Flea Infestations
Prevention is better than cure. Then, make sure to read our top preventive measures that will keep these ectoparasites away from your home.
Treat Your Dog
Flea control starts with making sure that your dog is protected from these annoying parasites. Then, visit your veterinarian and apply it as soon as possible. According to stats, such treatments like Simparica are highly effective for the control of natural flea infestations in dogs.
As soon as you spot fleas on your dog, take it to the veterinarian and start treating your home as soon as possible. The sooner you start, the easier it will be to end the problem, because a dog with only five female fleas can produce an infestation of approximately 4,000 fleas within a single month.
Take Care of Your Yard
If you have a yard at home, then you need to take specific preventive measures:
- Mow your grass regularly, then to prevent fleas from invading your yard, because they prefer humid and shady areas
- Keep wildlife away, because animals like raccoons deposit flea eggs into yards. Furthermore, according to a survey in Florida, 92.5% of feral cats were infested by fleas. Stop them from entering your garden, because they can ignite a severe flea infestation, and even worse, transmit serious health problems like tularemia (Rabbit Fever). If you haven’t paid attention to it, then you need to start monitoring your yard right now.
- Apply an outdoors fleabuster, to kill adult fleas and stop them from reproducing, as well as killing the eggs and pupae. In our top 10 best carpet flea removers, we have options like Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Yard and Kennel Spray, which are perfect for this case, especially if you suspect that wildlife has been visiting your yard.
Keep Your Home Clean and Tidy
Regular vacuuming, along with treating problematic areas like carpets and rugs, will help you to prevent flea infestations. For instance, you can use a pet-friendly natural flea powder like Pet Peeve’s Fleas Are History to clean such areas at least once a week.
Furthermore, remember to throw away the bag every time you vacuum, especially if you’ve already spotted some fleas. In addition, wash pet bedding regularly and treat it as well.
Finally, a carpet flea flogger treatment is the perfect complement if you’ve already seen adult fleas at home. Simply vacuum beforehand, remove all persons and animals from home and use one of our best carpet flea sprays like Raid Flea Killer Plus & Room Spray to fog the entire area.
Carpet Flea Removal – FAQ
To ensure that you remove all the fleas from your home, here you’ll find the answers for the most commonly asked questions regarding flea infestations: how to handle and remedy them.
How to get rid of fleas in a carpet?
You must clean the area with a carpet flea killer and supplement it with regular vacuuming and steaming, to kill all the fleas in all of their four stages: egg, larvae, pupae, and adult. Furthermore, it’s important to choose a carpet flea fogger or powder with instant-kill agents like Linalool, Pyrethrins, and Permethrin, in combination with growth regulators like Nylar.
In addition, throw away the vacuuming bag once you’re done, to get rid of all the flea dirt and contaminants. Moreover, remember to clean your carpeting once a week and to dehumidify it regularly, to stop fleas from infesting it.
What is the best natural carpet flea killer?
The best natural remedies for fleas are diatomaceous earth, baking soda, sea salt, lemon spray, and boric acid. You must apply them directly to your carpet to kill the infestation of fleas. They repel, dehydrate and dry fleas. You must complement it with steaming and vacuuming to eliminate the infestation. They are an effective and budget-friendly method.
Does diatomaceous earth kill fleas and ticks?
Diatomaceous earth kills fleas and sticks by dehydrating them. You must pour diatomaceous earth over problematic areas like carpets and rugs creating thin layers. Let it sit for 2 days and then proceed to vacuum and steam the area. It’s highly effective for treating areas with high levels of flea activity. Being that, it is one of the best carpet flea powders 100% free of chemicals.
Can I use baking soda and sea salt to kill parasites on my carpet?
Yes, because it kills parasites like fleas by inducing dehydration. It’s excellent to apply directly when you prefer to deal with a flea infestation naturally. You only have to combine baking soda and sea salt and then proceed to sparse the mixture over your carpet until you have covered the entire area. Let it do its job for 2-3 days and then vacuum the entire area and apply steam. The best carpet flea powder when you’re on a budget.
Fleas and ticks are no good. They bite and infect animals and in the worst cases, cause anemia. Well, the best way to prevent those infestations is to buy the best flea carpet killer on the market. Yet, before buying one, take note to do your research or better yet, consult a veterinarian.