Monitoring your dog’s health is one of the leading ways to combat any disease. In hypothyroidism cases, carefully deciding on your furry friend’s diet plans is crucial since every ingredient dog foods contain will affect their nutritional value. Fortunately, these 25 best dog food for hypothyroidism can help you.
Since selecting what to feed your dog is time-consuming and difficult, here is a list of the best dog food for hypothyroidism that you can choose from today. You can look for dog foods with animal-based protein, low fats, highly-digestible nutrients, probiotics, and grain-free contents to boost your pup’s holistic health.
25 Best Dog Food For Dogs With Hypothyroidism
Check these dog foods for hypothyroidism in dogs’ diet plans.
|Wellness CORE Canned Dog Food||High protein levels, fiber, fat, and calories for metabolism and the immune system||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️|
|Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Senior Dry Dog Food||With LifeSource Bits for antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️|
|Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Adult, Small Paws for Small Breed Dogs||Natural small kibble sizes for lifelong immune system support||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️|
|Hill’s Prescription Diet w/d Multi-Benefit Dry Dog Food||Only available by prescription from veterinarians||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️|
|Halo Holistic Chicken & Chicken Liver Adult Dry Dog Food||With Dreamcoat supplement for coat and skin issues||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️|
|Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Adult Dry Dog Food||Suitable for large breeds and older dogs (18 months and above)||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️|
|Taste of the Wild High Prairie Grain-Free Dry Dog Food||With species-specific K9 proprietary probiotics for digestion||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️|
|Merrick Real Chicken + Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food||With animal-based fats, 84% protein, and omega fatty acids||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️|
|Diamond Naturals Beef Meal & Rice Formula Adult Dry Dog Food||Grain-free kibble with superfoods (blueberries and oranges)||⭐️⭐️⭐️|
|Purina Pro Plan High Protein Dog Food with Probiotics||Crunchy kibble with soft meat pieces and live cultures of probiotics and prebiotics||⭐️⭐️⭐️|
1. Purina Pro Plan High Protein Dog Food with Probiotics
If you are looking for budget-friendly dog food, Purina Pro Plan High Protein is an excellent option for hypothyroidism. It is a perfect blend of crunchy kibble with soft, natural, and high-quality pieces of meat, poultry, or fish, depending on the variant you have chosen.
This dog food prioritizes your dog’s well-being with its minerals, vitamins, and glucosamine for optimal health. If your dog has digestive problems, you can serve this kibble due to its live cultures of probiotic bacteria. Healthier skin and coat are also possible with omega-3 fatty acids, linoleic acids, and vitamin A.
- Has natural probiotic and prebiotic fiber for digestion
- Enhances skin and coat
- High protein (26%), calories (379/cup), and fats (16%)
- Dogs may dislike shredded meat pieces
- Must be placed in an airtight container, or it will have molds otherwise
- Causes dogs to have soft stools and diarrhea in rare cases
2. Wellness CORE Canned Dog Food
Wellness CORE Canned Dog Food is one of the best dog foods on the market due to its balanced nutritional value and price. It contains different protein-rich animal-based sources, such as chicken, broth and liver, turkey, and turkey liver. It also has high fiber content, giving your dog more carbohydrates.
You can boost your dog’s metabolism and immune system with this dog food due to its minerals, antioxidants, and digestible whole foods. While its prebiotic contents aid digestion, it also has fish oils and flaxseed for healthier coats and skin. The only trait dog owners dislike about this product is the difficulty of opening the can.
- No artificial contents, meat by-products, corn, soy, and wheat
- Mixes well with dry food
- No strong smell
- Enhances lean body mass and muscle tone
- Requires can opener
- Difficult to open even if you have a can opener
- Not for dogs with a grain-inclusive diet
3. Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food With Smoked Salmon
Your dog’s egg and grain allergies will go away with this grain-free and egg-free dry kibble. Even though Taste of the Wild with Smoked Salmon has ocean fish, potatoes, and sweet potatoes, it still has high digestibility. Its probiotics and prebiotics will also help your pup’s digestive system to process this dog food.
This Taste of the Wild variant includes canola oil, taurine, lentils, dried chicory root, and whole food sources for carbohydrates. Your journey in looking for nutrient-dense dog food ends here because this kibble has omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, selenium, minerals, and vitamins. Despite its nutritional value, you can look for other options if you dislike strong fish odors.
- 25% protein content
- Highly digestible
- Has omega-3 fatty acids for coat and skin
- Has probiotics and prebiotics for digestion
- Kibble can dry out and become hard to eat
- Large kibble size
- Not suitable for small breeds
- Strong fish odor
4. Wellness CORE 88414 Core Natural Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Wellness CORE features another excellent dog food for hypothyroidism in a dry protein-rich kibble form. This grain-free dog food is a blend of salmon, herring, and ocean whitefish with no meat by-products, fillers, soy, corn, and artificial contents. You can ensure that your dog only gets the nutrients it needs, not unnecessary ingredients.
Being nutrient-dense, Wellness CORE Natural Grain-Free contains digestible carbohydrates, probiotics, and antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables. It also has omega-3 fatty acids, chondroitin sulfate, and glucosamine. In this case, you can guarantee your dog’s healthier skin and coat, an enhanced immune system, lean body mass, and optimal holistic health.
- Allows a healthier, shiny coat and skin
- Reduces skin issues or infection
- Excellent for regulating body weight
- Contains wholesome ingredients
- Has natural glucosamine and chondroitin sources
- Not suitable for dogs with small breeds
- Causes bad gas
- Fishy and unpleasant odor
- Packaging is not resealable
5. Halo Holistic Chicken & Chicken Liver Adult Dry Dog Food
Are you looking for poultry-based dog food with chicken, chicken liver, dried eggs, pearled barley, and oatmeal? The Halo Holistic Dry Dog Food may be what you’re looking for. Due to its wide range of tasty ingredients, this flavorful dog food can attract dogs, even those with poor appetites.
Maintain your dog’s weight, immune system, and optimal thyroid function with Halo Holistic’s digestible whole grains and antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables. It also contains a DreamCoat supplement for healthier coats and skin. Worry not about harmful contents because this dog food is free from artificial preservatives and colors, antibiotics, hormones, and GMO ingredients.
- Suitable for dogs with poor stool quality
- Highly digestible
- High protein (25%), fiber (5%), fats (15%), and calories (403 kcal/cup)
- Aids recurring gastrointestinal distress
- Unstable pricing in the market
- With ingredients that can be harmful to dogs with allergies and sensitive digestive system
6. Zignature Trout & Salmon Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Like its name says this Zignature Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is a combination of trout and salmon with chickpeas and peas. This dry kibble includes salmon oil, sunflower oil, flaxseed, and a dehydrated alfalfa meal. Your dog with hypothyroidism can also benefit from this product because of its taurine, omega-3 fatty acids, and essential vitamins balanced with minerals.
Zignature Trout & Salmon Formula maximizes the health benefits in every kibble piece to cater to your dog’s needs despite the lack of appetite. Its whole foods and digestible carbohydrate sources sustain energy levels to combat lethargy. Rest assured that everything is healthy because this dog food does not contain allergens, additives, and artificial contents.
- With fish ingredients containing omega-3 fatty acids for itchy skin
- Suitable for dogs with upset stomachs
- High protein content (30%)
- With taurine and L-carnitine
- Low-glycemic carbohydrates
- Causes bad breath
- High in salt
- Dogs can dislike the flavor
- Costly for pet owners with a tight budget
7. AvoDerm Natural All Life Stages Dry & Wet Dog Food
Having dogs and puppies in your household is not a problem with AvoDerm Natural All Life Stages. This dog food is a grain-free chunky stew of bite-sized turkey meat and vegetable in gravy, suitable for dogs of any breed and age. Furthermore, it is rich in healthy ingredients, including egg products, carrots, potatoes, peas, avocado oil, and flaxseed.
If you want vitamins and minerals for your dog, this product has cranberries and blueberries, plus omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids from avocados for healthier skin. Its natural protein sources also ease digestion, enhance the immune system, and develop lean muscle mass. Opting for AvoDerm is also an excellent choice for a corn-free and soy-free diet.
- With turkey and turkey broth as protein sources
- Has antioxidants
- With omega-rich avocado and avocado oil
- Causes healthier and shiny coats
- Aids itchiness in the dog’s skin
- Dogs can have constipation and digestive issues
- Unpleasant and smelly odor
- Expensive for dog owners with a low budget
8. Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Adult Dry Dog Food
Do you have large breed dogs? The Nutro Natural Choice awaits you today with its high-quality dry kibble! It uses chicken as its primary protein source, so it is better to look for other dog food options if your furry friend has poultry allergies.
Despite that, this product has no by-product contents, GMO ingredients, corn, wheat, and soy. It only promotes optimal health maintenance with antioxidants for the immune system, added calcium for bones, and omega-3 fatty acids for brain and eye development. Natural fiber for digestion and glucosamine for healthy joints are also present.
- High protein and fiber content
- Suitable for enhancing holistic health
- No unpleasant odor
- No GMOs, artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives
- Not advisable for dogs with small breeds and puppies
- Causes dogs to be gassy
9. VICTOR Super Premium High Protein Dry Dog Food
The VICTOR Super Premium features a grain-free dry kibble consisting of menhaden fish meal, chicken fats, peas, and dehydrated alfalfa and salmon. It also has garbanzo beans for vitamins and minerals. Due to these ingredients, VICTOR Super Premium became one of the top dog foods with the highest protein contents.
Aside from its high protein, this dog food also has zinc and selenium for a healthier immune system and optimal thyroid function. Dogs with zinc deficiency can result in hypothyroidism. You can also aid your dog’s skin or coat issues with omega-3 fatty acids. Worry not about digestion because probiotics and prebiotics are here to save the day.
- Keeps dog’s metabolism productive
- High protein content (74%)
- Small kibbles for dogs at any age and breed
- For smooth and shiny hair
- Causes less gas and stool
- The formula has changed, where fish meal became the first ingredient and not salmon
- Unpleasant smell
10. Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet Natural Dry Dog Food
As its name denotes, Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet has only one protein and one vegetable source for easy digestibility. It is an excellent combination of lamb, freeze-dried lamb meat, and organs (heart, liver, kidney, and spleen) with peas and pea protein. Its coconut oil and canola oil are healthy, but tapioca can be a filler ingredient.
In terms of health benefits, this dog food brand can boast its perfect blend of vitamins, omega-3 fatty acids, minerals for shiny coats, and amino acids for digestion. Your dog’s immune system can also achieve a better condition due to the antioxidants. Aside from the tapioca, the Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet has no artificial and unnecessary contents.
- Limited ingredients for high digestibility
- Enhances skin, coat, and immune system
- Suitable for allergic dogs
- High protein content
- No grains, artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives
- Dogs can dislike the flavor of lambs
- An expensive option for hypothyroidism
- Tapioca is a filler ingredient
11. Diamond Naturals Beef Meal & Rice Formula Adult Dry Dog Food
Your dog deserves stronger bones, joints, and lean muscle mass; that’s why Diamond Naturals Beef Meal & Rice Formula is here for you. Your pup can enjoy its pasture-raised beef and fish protein with superfood fruits like oranges and blueberries. This product is a grain-exclusive diet, so you can skip this if you want otherwise.
You cannot let your dog eat with other house pets because this dog food contains species-specific K9 proprietary probiotics, prebiotics, omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants for the immune system, digestion, shinier coats, and overall health. Moreover, this product has no corn, wheat, artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives to ensure healthy well-being.
- For weight maintenance and management
- For healthy muscles, healthy coat, and digestion
- Aids ear infections
- With natural ingredients
- High fiber, fats, vitamins, and minerals
- Dogs can release gasses with a foul odor
- Pet owners prefer brown rice over white rice
12. Wellness Simple Natural Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food
Wellness will not lose when discussing dog foods with limited ingredients, so they released the Simple Natural Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food on the market. This product is a salmon meal with high-quality potatoes, dried ground potatoes, canola oil, and peas. They only added natural seasonings and preservatives to enhance the food’s flavor.
If your pup usually has an upset digestive system, you can opt for this dog food due to its easy digestibility and omega-3 fatty acids. No gluten, GMO ingredients, and fillers are present in this product; that’s why you can also worry less about your furry friend’s allergies.
- With flaxseed and fish for healthy skin
- This leads to firm stools and less waste
- Limited ingredients for easy digestion
- Decreases flatulence in dogs
- Suitable for dogs with allergies
- The product is only available in bulk bags.
- Dogs can dislike and not eat it.
- Hard to chew
13. Whole Earth Farms Grain-Free Recipe Dry Dog Food
Here comes another grain-free and artificial-free dog food for hypothyroidism: Whole Earth Farms Grain-Free Recipe. This product has high-quality salmon and whitefish protein sources, antioxidants, and omega-3 fatty acids. You can also find wholesome vegetable contents such as carrots, sweet potatoes, and dried beet pulp.
Despite the wide range of ingredients, Whole Earth Farms Grain-Free Recipe has no fillers and is highly digestible. It also gives your dog high nutritional value with fiber, vitamins, minerals, glucosamine, and chondroitin. The only downside of this product is its chicken content, which is not advisable for canines with poultry allergies.
- With glucosamine and chondroitin
- Sustains energy levels
- With a wholesome harvest blend of vegetables
- Enhances skin, coat, and immune system
- Only with natural contents and high-quality ingredients
- Large kibble size
- With chicken (not suitable for dogs with poultry allergy)
14. Taste of the Wild High Prairie Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
If your dog does not prefer smoked salmon, Taste of the Wild released the High Prairie Grain-Free Dry Dog Food, which contains buffalo, lamb, and chicken. It also has sweet potatoes and peas for healthy carbohydrates; and tomatoes, dried chicory root, and raspberries for fiber. Stomach problems wouldn’t be an issue because these ingredients are highly digestible.
This product can also reduce allergy-related skin issues and support joints, bones, and lean muscles. It is gluten and grain-free, suitable for dogs of any breed and age. Like Diamond Naturals, this dog food also has species-specific K9 strain proprietary probiotics, prebiotics, and antioxidants for digestion and the immune system.
- Has balanced omega fatty acids, probiotics, carbs, and other minerals
- Supports overall health and body systems
- Sustains energy levels
- High fiber and protein contents
- Suitable for dogs at any age and breed
- Has species-specific ingredients that are not suitable for other animals
- Costly for pet owners with a low budget
15. Canidae All Life Stages Premium Dry Dog Food for All Breeds
Canidae All Life Stages Premium is another example of dog food for hypothyroidism with high protein content. It uses chicken, turkey, lamb, and ocean fish meals combined with rice bran, brown, and white rice. Also, its ingredients include potatoes, oatmeal, peas, cracked pearl barley, chicken fat, flaxseed, and millet.
The ingredient list does not end there because Canidae All Life Stages Premium also uses cranberries, salmon oil, vegetables, and minerals for healthy dog food. It aims to provide health benefits to dogs, such as prebiotics and probiotics for digestion, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids for skin, and antioxidant-rich contents for optimal health.
- This leads to less shedding
- With glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health
- With omega-rich ingredients for healthier skin and coat
- Allows dogs to have more energy
- With probiotics for digestion
- Dogs will have loose stools with a foul odor
- Dogs will release unpleasant gasses
16. Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food With Roasted Lamb
Here is another excellent option from Taste of the Wild. This time, the recipe uses lamb, peas, and sweet potatoes as the primary energy sources. Your dog will also love its fruit and vegetable superfoods and natural lamb meat for higher protein and maintained weight.
Since probiotics and prebiotics are necessary for a dog with hypothyroidism, this product contains these to aid digestive issues. It also has omega-3 fatty acids to combat hair loss and skin infections. Tomatoes, raspberries, blueberries, and chicory roots also give vitamins and antioxidants to your pup’s immune system.
- With lamb as its primary protein source
- High protein content (25%)
- Enhances your dog’s joints, bones, and lean muscles
- No grains, wheat, and corn
- With probiotics and prebiotics
- Large kibble size
- Not suitable for dogs with small breeds and puppies
17. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food
Blue Buffalo made this grain-free dog food with high protein levels for building and maintaining lean muscle mass. This recipe contains deboned chicken, chicken meal, pea protein, peas, and tapioca starch. You can choose this product if you have dogs of different breeds in one household because it is suitable for canines of any breed and age.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Recipe possesses LifeSource Bits, a blend of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants for oxidative balance, immunity, and life stage requirements. It also sustains your dog’s energy levels by obtaining healthy carbohydrates from sources like peas and sweet potatoes. Lastly, this product is grain-free and has no corn, wheat, and soy.
- Strengthens bones and teeth
- Can make coat and skin healthier
- Enhance immune system and heart health
- With omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids
- High protein, fiber, calcium, and fats
- Dogs can have runny stools
- Pups can dislike and not eat it
- In rare cases, it causes digestive trauma to allergic canines
18. Amazon Brand – Wag Dry Dog Food Turkey and Lentil Recipe
You will know this product’s primary ingredients by looking at its name: Wag Dry Dog Food Turkey and Lentil Recipe. Aside from those, it has peas, pea protein, chicken fat, salmon oil, and flaxseed. Aid your dog’s hypothyroidism symptoms with probiotics, prebiotics, minerals, vitamins, and digestible proteins as carbohydrates source.
The Amazon Brand also has omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants for your dog’s total nutrition. It contains no added grain, wheat, corn, artificial contents, and chemical preservatives. If you have a tight budget, you can opt for this brand because it has a trial size package that lets you test it before investing in a larger pack.
- Enables less shedding and healthier coats
- High protein content
- Suitable for dogs at any age and breed
- A cheap option
- Can come with a trial pack option
- Dogs will have loose stools and gasses with a foul odor
- Dogs can have difficulties digesting this dog food
- Food is crumbly and can turn into powder quickly
19. Hill’s Prescription Diet w/d Multi-Benefit Dry Dog Food
Hill’s Prescription Diet Dry Dog Food uses chicken meal, brewer’s rice, whole grain wheat and sorghum, and cracked pearled barley. It also has soybean oil, flaxseed, carrots, spinach, vitamins, and minerals.
This product is suitable for small breeds because it has tiny kibbles that are easy to digest. It maintains blood glucose levels, enhances immunity, manages weight, and promotes healthier skin through its omega-6 fatty acids with vitamin E. Its added L-carnitine also supports lean muscle maintenance and fat metabolism. Do note that you will need a prescription from a veterinarian first before buying this dry dog food because you cannot purchase without one.
- Small kibble size for dogs of small breeds
- Enhances coat and skin
- Helps manage weight
- Maintains blood glucose levels
- Other than hypothyroidism, this product is also advisable for dogs with diabetes
- Available only with a prescription
- With filler ingredients
- Dogs can have smelly stools or diarrhea.
- Plain flavors
20. Blue Buffalo Freedom Adult Dry Dog Food
Obesity is one of the common symptoms of hypothyroidism in dogs. Fortunately, Blue Buffalo Freedom contains glucosamine, phosphorus, and calcium for weight management, mobility development, and joint or bone health maintenance. Its primary ingredients include deboned chicken, chicken meal, peas, potatoes, and tapioca starch with no glutens and grains.
Like the previous Blue Buffalo product, this dog food also has LifeSource Bits with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals for your dog’s overall health. Your pup can also restore its shiny hair and coat with the omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Its recipe has no meat by-products, corn, wheat, soy, and artificial contents.
- Reduces risks of obesity
- LifeSource Bits
- High protein levels, fiber, and fat
- Dogs will have stool consistency. and fewer digestive issues
- It attracts even those picky eaters
- Ambiguous packaging
- Unpleasant smell
- Tiny kibble size
21. Solid Gold – Love at First Bark Holistic Superfoods Rich Food for Puppies of All Breeds
Fall in love at first bite with Solid Gold due to its 20 superfoods, including cranberries, pumpkin, celery, beets, carrots, lettuce, blueberries, spinach, watercress, and broccoli. These ingredients blend perfectly with the chicken meat, meal, and fats; peas, pea fiber and protein, potatoes, chickpeas, ocean fish meal, dried egg, flaxseed, and apples.
Even though this dog food has a wide range of ingredients, it is still easy to digest for puppies of any breed. The superfoods give a well-balanced nutritional value that can benefit your dog’s growth and digestive health. What makes it healthier is that it has no corn, soy, fillers, gluten, and wheat.
- Reduces unpleasant gas and small stools
- Boost energy levels
- Uses superfoods for antioxidants
- Promotes healthy cognitive development
- With living sources of probiotics
- Kibbles are not suitable for dogs of smaller breeds and sizes
- Dogs can have diarrhea at first due to a wide range of ingredients
22. Merrick Real Chicken + Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food
Does your dog dislike meat and seafood? Opt for the Merrick Real Chicken + Sweet Potato Recipe because it only has deboned chicken, chicken and turkey meals, sweet potatoes, and peas without sacrificing the protein levels. These ingredients also make up the animal-based fats needed for your dog with hypothyroidism.
Sensitive digestive systems are not a hindrance because this product is gluten-free. Since obesity and lethargy are effects of hypothyroidism, Merrick made this dog food to manage your dog’s weight and boost its energy levels. Its tasty flavor will also attract picky eaters.
- Suitable for dogs and puppies of any breed and size
- No grain, gluten, soy, wheat, and corn included.
- Preferable for dogs that dislike meat and seafood
- High protein levels (84%) from animal-based sources
- With natural ingredients equipped with fiber, vitamins, and minerals
- Not suitable for dogs with food sensitivity
- The bag size has changed
23. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Senior Dry Dog Food
As its name says, the Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula serves as a “life protection” for dogs dealing with hypothyroidism. Its high-quality ingredients and high protein levels from real chicken help build and maintain lean muscle mass. It also boosts your furry friend’s immune system and supports thyroid hormone production.
This dry dog food also sustains your dog’s energy levels with its fruits and vegetables, carbohydrates, and wholesome grains. Worry not about having skin and coat issues, because the omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids can combat these problems. Lastly, the LifeSource Bits feature will never disappear in Blue Buffalo variants.
- Balanced fats, protein, and carbohydrates sources
- Builds lean muscle mass
- Suitable for joint and hip problems
- With natural ingredients for aiding hypothyroidism in dogs
- It supports thyroid hormone production and the immune system
- Dogs can have an allergic reaction and digestive issues from the flaxseeds and wholesome grains
24. Forza10 Nutraceutic Sensitive Digestion Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Forza10 Nutraceutic Sensitive Digestion aims to handle digestive and gastrointestinal issues in dogs with hypothyroidism. Its recipe uses anchovy and pork meals, fava beans, peas, and fish oil with mixed tocopherols. Since dogs with sensitive stomachs can react to whole grains negatively, this product excludes that ingredient to ensure safety.
Forza10 also enhances your dog’s overall health while maintaining the flavors that can attract finicky eaters. It consists of fresh and uncontaminated materials with no GMOs and artificial preservatives. With the desire to ease your dog’s health condition, this product contains fruits, vegetables, omega-3, and omega-6 fatty acids.
- Suitable for dogs with allergies, itchiness, and poor digestion
- Reduces flatulence in dogs
- Aids gasses with a foul odor
- Improves stool quality
- Beneficial for weight management
- Too expensive for owners with no budget
- With hydrolyzed potato protein and peas, elevating blood sugar levels
- It leads to gastrointestinal distress in rare cases
25. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Adult, Small Paws for Small Breed Dogs
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food is another excellent dog food for hypothyroidism. Coming from the same brand, Hill’s Science Diet has ingredients including chicken meal, whole grain sorghum, brewer’s rice, and whole grain wheat like Hill’s Prescription. Its recipe also contains flaxseed, carrots, soybean and oil, spinach, minerals, and vitamins.
Hill’s Science Diet has natural ingredients that are easy for small puppies to chew and digest. Shedding and skin infections will also lessen due to the omega-6 fatty acids with vitamin E found in this product. Having lifelong immune support is also possible with antioxidant-rich contents.
- Suitable for dogs of small breeds and sizes
- Enhances healthy coats and skin
- Can attract even those finicky dogs and puppies
- Easy to chew and digest
- Adequate price for its nutritional value
- Its newly-made recipe can lead to stools with an unpleasant odor and diarrhea.
- Contains filler ingredients
What Is Hypothyroidism in Dogs?
Hypothyroidism is a health condition where a dog’s thyroid gland does not secrete or produce adequate thyroid hormones throughout the body. It is also a hormone imbalance due to inflamed or shrank thyroid glands, leading to insufficient thyroid hormone levels and decreased thyroid function.
A dog’s thyroid gland is in the mid-neck region near the larynx or the voice box. It consists of two separate lobes located on either side of the trachea or windpipe. Once this thyroid gland encounters abnormalities or diseases, it can affect the dog’s metabolism and other body functions of most organ systems.
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism in Dogs
Since hypothyroidism influences multiple organ systems in a dog’s body, your furry friend will exhibit signs of this disease in different body parts. Primary and common symptoms are
- Weight gain without an increase in appetite
- Dull and dry hair with excessive shedding
- Increased dark skin pigmentation
- Slow heart rate
- Lethargy or lack of physical activity
- Cold intolerance
- High blood cholesterol
- Skin and ear infections
- Very thin to almost bald hair coat
- Failure to regrow hair after shaving
In more cases of hypothyroidism, you can also see these signs on your dog:
- Thickening of facial skin
- Reproductive issues
- Dry eyes
- Abnormal nerve function
Causes of Hypothyroidism in Dogs
Your furry friend can get hypothyroidism from various causes, such as the following:
This health condition is an autoimmune disease where the dog’s body attacks the thyroid gland or the thyroid tissues. It is an inherited trait that affects thyroid hormone production.
Idiopathic Thyroid Gland Atrophy
Idiopathic thyroid gland atrophy is where fats replace the dog’s thyroid tissues. Unfortunately, the cause of this health condition is still unknown.
Congenital Defects or Abnormalities
Dogs can also acquire hypothyroidism from different defects and abnormalities in the thyroid gland, which they can encounter at birth.
Thyroid cancer can also cause hypothyroidism, but this condition is rare in dogs.
Other External Factors
Dogs get hypothyroidism from other reasons, such as lawn chemicals, environmental toxins, raw foods, unhealthy commercial dog foods, vaccines, dog chew toys with phthalates chemicals, and antibacterial agents in soap.
Which Dog Breeds Are At Risk of Hypothyroidism?
Research by Ahlgren and Uimari found that a dog breed named Finnish Hovawart has a moderate to high probability of acquiring hypothyroidism through breeding. They concluded that dog breeders must refrain from letting them mate because they can pass the disease to their offspring. One tip is to select affected dogs from unaffected ones to prevent its prevalence.
Aside from this breed, the following are other dogs that are also susceptible to getting this disease.
- English Setter
- Polish Lowland Sheepdog
- Miniature Schnauzer
- Golden Retriever
- Irish Setter
- Cocker Spaniel
- Doberman Pinscher
- German Wirehaired Pointer
What To Look For In a Dog Food For Hypothyroidism
Pet owners must be careful what to feed a dog with hypothyroidism because their furry friend’s health is at stake. Dogs will suffer severe consequences if you let them eat unhealthy meals, so here’s a list of what to look for in dog foods to help them live through hypothyroidism.
Canines require animal-based protein and nutrient sources, such as poultry, meat, and fish, for easy digestion and to support lean muscle mass. Opting for animal-based fats like salmon oil and chicken fat will also give them the energy to combat lethargy. Moreover, essential fatty acids will aid your dog’s skin or coat issues.
Even though excessive unhealthy fats are dangerous for dogs, you can find healthy fats, such as flaxseed, canola oils, and omega-3 fatty acid, to aid hypothyroidism. Research by Chiofalo et al. stated that a diet rich in protein and fats can benefit thyroid glands and thyroid hormone production in dogs.
Highly Digestible Nutrients
Unexplained weight gain is a common effect of hypothyroidism in dogs, so weight management is crucial to handle this situation. You can give foods that are easy to digest for more nutritional value. In this case, animal-based protein, probiotics, and prebiotic fibers are excellent ingredients for maximizing vitamins and minerals.
Even though your dog can tolerate whole grains, commercial dog foods have GMO (genetically modified organisms) ingredients that influence the hormonal balance in dogs. It can be risky to pick dog foods without checking if their grain contents are GMO-free, so grain-free diet plans are better for saving time and your dog’s safety.
You will want to give your dog everything to boost its health, but balancing the nutrients and minerals should also be considered. You can serve carbohydrates and fibers for healthy digestion, iodine for thyroid hormones, vitamins A and B, folic acid, and iron for enhanced blood health and thyroid function.
Dogs with hypothyroidism can lose their appetite, so you must give them the healthiest ingredients of the highest quality to maximize their nutritional value. You can choose wholesome and natural foods, animal proteins, fats, vegetables, and fruits. Do not forget to check your dog’s allergies to prevent allergic reactions to specific foods.
No Artificial Flavors and Preservatives
Commercial dog foods can also have artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives that can affect your dog’s thyroid function and other organ systems. In this case, carefully select foods and ingredients with 100% natural preserves, such as rosemary extract, vitamin E, dried egg whites, ascorbic or citric acid, and mixed tocopherols.
A research on microbiota and thyroid interaction by Frohlich and Wahl states that microbiota-targeted therapies can benefit thyroid diseases. Microbes in probiotics regulate iodine degradation and uptake and enterohepatic cycling. With this, you can start letting your dog eat plain yogurts with no artificial sweeteners and kefir with live cultures.
Thyroid Dog Food: FAQ
Here are the answers to the frequently asked question about the best dog food for hypothyroidism:
The following ingredients are what you must not give your dog with hypothyroidism:
– Heavy grains
– Artificial colors, preservatives, and flavors
– Nuts (pine nuts, walnuts, and peanuts)
– Processed foods
– Specific fruits (pears, peaches, strawberries)
– Specific vegetables (cabbage, broccoli, kale, cauliflower, and Brussel sprouts)
– Soy and soy foods (tofu, edamame, and tempeh)
Unhealthy foods and recipes can harm your dog with hypothyroidism. Here are the foods you must avoid to prevent giving them dangerous meals.
– Raw foods
– Table scraps
– Meat, poultry, and beef by-products
– Unhealthy canned foods
– Onions and garlic
– Commercial dry foods
– Chocolates (or anything with artificial sweeteners)
– Foods with too much salt and preservatives
While giving dog foods to canines is not a problem, commercial brands can contain alarming ingredients that are unhealthy for dogs. For instance, they can have too much or too little iodine, low-quality contents, and goitrogenic foods, like cabbage, cauliflower, and kale. In this case, checking the label will help.
The first thing dog owners can give their dogs with hypothyroidism is a thyroid replacement hormone through oral administration. Your dog will need this drug for the rest of its life, depending on the veterinarian’s instruction. After that, you can give them supplements, such as zinc, selenium, and omega-3 fatty acids.
Even though hypothyroidism currently has no permanent cure, your dog can take medications to help ease the condition. If you fail to treat this disease, they will suffer from excessive weight gain, anemia, corneal ulcers, and fur loss. Worse instances can include seizures, circling, head tilt, and death.
After knowing the 25 best dog food for hypothyroidism, this health condition will no longer worry you much. The only thing you need to do next is to monitor and maintain your dog’s health to help it get through hypothyroidism. Otherwise, you will see your furry friend suffer from it more.