On this episode, you will learn how to build a solid, durable and waterproof dog whelping box for the mother and her puppies. Cost-effective and easy to build, you will simply need to buy a few items to get yourself started.
If you are lazy or unsure about doing it yourself, check out our post about the absolute best dog whelping box money can buy.
- 1x Plywood (4ft x 8ft) (or two identical 4×4)
- 1x Wood (1ft x 12ft x 4ft)
- 1x Furring Strip (2ft x 2ft x 6ft)
- 50x Wood Screws (8×1 3/4″)
- 1x Bottle of Wood Glue
- 1x Bottle of Waterproofing for Wood
- 2x 2″ PVC piping (pig rail)
You will also need a screw gun and a saw.
How To Build Your Own Dog Whelping Box Step-by-Step
The way to do it is illustrated and explained in the video but here it is by text just in case.
- Cut the Plywood (4×8) in half
- Take one half and cut it into three equal pieces (will be the back and two sides of the box)
- The 1x12x4 woof panel will be the front, slightly lower for an easy access
- Cut the furring strip in several 2-inch pieces and save them for later
- Start assembling the wood panels using wood glue
- Once assembled, screw the panels together, don’t forget the bottom and the sides
- Apply the waterproofing product to both, the interior and exterior sides
- Fix the furring strip pieces we cut earlier at each corner, you can use two per corner
- Install the PVC piggy rail and its elbows, it should sit on top of the furring strip pieces
- Add heat pads, beddings and towels to make this birthing box comfortable!
It wasn’t that hard, was it? Subscribe to Breeding Business’ YouTube Channel for the latest dog breeding videos!