Dog hair detanglers present an easy solution to everyday brushing. They allow you to groom your pet’s hair without spending an hour struggling with the brush. Just spray, and you’re done. But why do you need to detangle your dog’s hair? Tangled hair is not only an eyesore but also a factor contributing to poor health and hygiene. When the hair is tangled, matting can develop. And matting is both painful and unhealthy for your dog.
One way to keep tangles, and thus matting, away is to regular comb your dog with a brush. Brushing can be easy if you have trained your dog to behave and if he has fairly straight hair. When the hair is already tangled, brushing is a chore both for you and your dog. In this article, we will present the 10 best detanglers for dog hair that minimize the need for brushing. Let’s jump in.
What Are Dog Hair Detanglers
You can think of hair detanglers as conditioners we use after shampoo. Just like how a conditioner keeps the hair smooth and moisturized, hair detanglers keep the coat of your dog shiny and smooth.
While a shiny coat looks sweet, it isn’t only for show. Rough hair is pretty easy to mess up. A roll on the carpet, a dig in the garden, or a sprint through the leaves is all it takes to tangle the hair up. And tangles are an invitation for mats.
Dog hair detanglers are sprays of liquids that ensure your dog’s hair remains free from matting with minimal brushing. The less the brushing, the fewer chances for you to hurt yourself and your dog.
10 Best Dog Hair Detanglers
Here are our most recommended detanglers for dog hair:
1. TropiClean Perfect Fur Shampoo & Spray for Dogs
TropiClean Spray is everything a dog hair detangler should be. It has naturally-derived ingredients, conditioning properties, and a light, fresh scent.
First up are the ingredients: The natural or natural-based ingredients that TropiClean has used include Lavender Extract, Oat Extract, Cucumber Extract, and Peach Extract among others. All of these ingredients have natural cleaning and conditioning properties.
Next up, there is also a detangler built into the shampoo/conditioner. Give your dog a bath. Apply the TropiClean Spray. And brush gently to remove the tangles. Furthermore, the reviews reflect all of these niceties. Customers note that the TropiClean Spary makes their dog’s coat smooth, shiny, and easy to brush.
2. Kibble Pet Miracle Detangling Spray Hypoallergenic
The Kibble Pet Detangling Spray is human-grade no matter how you look at it. Made from a combination of natural ingredients like coconut oil, sunflower seed oil, aloe vera, and argan oil, it is both safe and beneficial for your pet.
When we talk about a dog hair detangler being safe, we have to talk about the chemicals that are present in the product. Fortunately, there are no SLS, parabens, toxins, harsh soaps, grains, and petroleum in the Kibble Pet Detangling Spray.
Finally, the spray is incredible in its ability to smooth out the hair of your dog. Spray it directly over tangles and mats. Massage for a few seconds then brush lightly. It is this simplicity and effectiveness that have made customers fall in love with this product. Furthermore, we can’t forget about the refreshing aloe vera scent.
3. Warren London Dog Dematting and Detangler Spray
Want your dog smelling like ice-cream? Then you need the Warren London Detangler Spray. It has that soft, light vanilla smell that we all love.
The ingredients in the Warren London Detangler Spray are also nothing to scoff at. From aloe Vera, jojoba oil, and mineral Oil to the lack of any harmful chemicals, the manufacturer promises a safe and effective solution.
In conclusion, it is very effective. Apply it after a bath or on a damp coat, let it sit for a couple of minutes, and gently brush the mats away. And for the most part, the customers love it. As a result, if you can overlook the fact that it leaves a small amount of residue, the Warren London Detangler Spray is a great spray to own.
4. Pet Head Fur Ball Detangling Spray for Pets Strawberry Yogurt
Ah, the delectable scent of strawberry yogurt, the Pet Head Detangling Spray is as easy on the coat as it is on the nose.
The main ingredients in the dog hair detangler spray are essential fatty acids, sunflower seed oil, wheat protein, and vitamin E. Combine these with a pH-balanced formula, and we have a spray that is safe for your dog, even if he ingests it.
Finally, customers who’ve bought the product love it for how effective it is. And it gets full points from us.
5. BioSilk for Dogs Silk Therapy Detangling
When a product claims something as audacious and sci-fi sounding as ‘silk-infused proteins’ you have to be a little skeptical. But thankfully, our skepticism for the BioSilk Detangling Conditioner was met with excellent performance and a beautiful scent.
It has silk-infused proteins and vitamins. It is also pH balanced. Putting the scientific jargon aside, the detangler works quite well. Customers note that after using the detangler, their dog’s coat became soft, smooth, and easy to groom. Moreover, use it after applying conditioner and you’ll have no complaints.
6. BarkLogic Dogs Leave in Conditioner & Detangling Spray
The main ingredients of the spray include lavender essential oil, aloe leaves extract, and chamomile extract. When you combine these together, you get a conditioner that makes your dog’s coat tangle-free and allows you to brush the mats away.
Add to this the nice smell of lavender and we get why customers love this hair detangler for dogs. In conclusion, just apply it on damp hair, and brush away.
7. Cowboy Magic Detangler and Shine
The Cowboy Magic Detangler comes with silk protein, panthenol, vitamin E, And UV protectant. The silk proteins give your pooch a silky coat, the panthenol removes dirt and dust, vitamin E restores the natural protective layer of your dog’s coat, and UV protectant adds to this protection.
The other thing that differs the Cowboy Detangler from other detanglers is that it is a pure conditioner. No water and no alcohol. Only a conditioner that doesn’t dry hair.
So, it is, first and foremost, a conditioner. This means that you have to use it after bathing your dog. In short, it is an awesome conditioner with safe ingredients.
8. John Paul Pet Lavender Mint Detangling Spray
The John Paul Detangling Spray is a mix of oatmeal, chamomile, sweet almond oil, lavender, and tea tree extracts. To top it all off, the manufacturer packs in panthenol. All of these combined ensure a shiny and tangling-free coat for your dog.
That said, keep in mind that you need to use the detangling spray between baths. After using applying it judiciously, gently brush the hair to remove mats and tangles.
9. BioSilk for Pets Therapy Detangling Plus Shine Protecting Mist
The ingredients that make the BioSilk Detangling Mist are silk and soy protein, papaya leaf extract, panthenol, jojoba oil, oat extract, aloe vera, and fragrance. There are no parabens and sulfates. This makes the BioSilk Detangling Mist incredibly safe for your dog.
But being safe and being effective are two different things. We are glad to report that this dog hair detangler is as good in practice as it is on paper.
So, if your dog doesn’t have sensitive skin, go ahead, and buy it.
10. Burt's Bees for Pets Dogs Natural Detangling Spray
The final product on this list is also the simplest. The Burt’s Bees Detangling Spray has no fragrances, no sulfates, and is pH balanced.
There are lemon and linseed oil for added protection against mats and tangles. These oils also make the fur extra shiny and smooth.
The reviews also reflect the effectiveness of the product. The users note that the detangler makes their dog’s coat easy to brush and clean.
Dog Hair Detanglers: FAQ
Let us detangle some frequently asked and misunderstood questions.
You should consider the exact things that you consider while buying a human hair conditioner. Namely, you should:
– Pay attention to the scent of the detangler. You shouldn’t choose a detangler that reeks of chemicals. Similarly, stay away from a detangler having an overwhelming scent. Dogs don’t like overwhelming scents
– Consider the ingredients. Stay away from sprays that have parabens and similar harmful chemicals. Going completely organic is preferable but such sprays usually cost a lot. So, stay within budget but while staying away from bad chemicals
– Don’t compromise on price. While some sprays are worth their asking price, almost no hair detangler is worth more than $500. If a detangler looks too expensive, move on
– Effectiveness should be on the top of your list. If a detangler spray is not effective, why buy it? On the same note, if it is effective why go with something that costs less but isn’t as effective? The whole point of a dog hair detangler is to reduce the time you spend brushing your dog hair. Just keep this in mind
The benefits of dog hair detanglers include:
– Reduced brushing time. Imagine brushing matted, rough, and oily hair full of dirt. Now, imagine brushing soft, smooth, and moisturized hair. Which of these would be easier to brush? Which of these would consume more of your time? Answer these, and you’ll know why you pick up a hair detangler. You could also skip the detangling part and just clip your dog’s hair short. In that case, you’d want to check out our top picks of clippers for dogs with matted hair
– Comfortable for your dog. Most dogs don’t want to get brushed. Brushing hurts, and dogs don’t want to get hurt. The problem is multiplied when you must do it every day. Hair detanglers keep the brushing time to a minimum and make it easier for your dog. Because the hair is smooth and silky, it doesn’t hurt your dog as much when you brush
– Soothing and relaxing. Some detanglers come with a soothing scent like Lavender. Such soothing scents relax your dog and keep him stress-free. In other words, they work as aromatherapy
Here is how you can make your own dog hair detangler:
– Take 1 cup of rosemary water and add 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel. The aloe vera gel will work as an emulsifier
– Add to this mixture a couple of drops of coconut or argan oil. The oil is the main ingredient so make sure you don’t skip this step
– Let the mixture cool for one hour, and put it in a spray bottle
Voila, your own home-made dog hair detangler. Use it after every bath to give your dog a shiny coat. Now, you can make your own hair detangler, but it will take some time to get the formula just right. In conclusion, if you don’t have time, we suggest you buy one of the best dog hair detanglers that we have listed above.
While every hair detangler has the same use, the way you use one will differ from manufacturer to manufacturer.
In general, hair detanglers are also conditioner. So, you use them after a bath. After using the detangler spray, run your finger through the coat to find and resolve tangles.
That said, always read the instructions the manufacturer provides. These are the best way to figure out how to use the detangler in the way the manufacturer intended.
Any dog breed that has a long shaggy coat is prone to tangling. For instance, the coat of a cocker spaniel is curly. This curly coat makes it easy for tangles to develop.
Other breeds that are prone to tangling include the Poodle and Bichon Frise among many others.
If you have a dog with a long and curly coat of hair, there is no reason to skip on dog hair detanglers. These sprays make brushing and thus removing mats, quite easy. All in all, dog hair detanglers are worth every buck you spend on them.