German Shepherds are large, heavy chewers. So, it’s essential you supply them with the right toys! Otherwise, they’ll break in minutes, which is a waste of money for you, and no fun for your dog.
To help you out, we’ve come up with a list of the 15 best toys for German Shepherds currently on the market. Let’s take a look at everything you need to know and answer some of the most frequently asked questions.
15 Best German Shepherds Toys
The best toy for German Shepherds must be sturdy, long-lasting, and at the same time, cost-effective. It’s difficult to choose what toys to buy for your canine.
Our Best Pick:
So, this article gives you the highly recommended dog toy by most owners and vets, the Kong Extreme Ball. Dogs love playing with this because it’s bite resistant and also mentally stimulating. Yet, if you want more choices, keep on reading below.
Devised using the criteria above – here is our list of the 15 best toys for German Shepherds!
1. Kong Extreme Ball Dog Toy
This black ball by Kong is made from all-natural, non-toxic, ultra-durable, puncture-resistant rubber. Perfect for German Shepherds! The medium-large size is 3 x 3 inches and it’s even designed to have extreme bounce for extra fun.
Kong is an internationally loved and trusted brand that is recommended by vets worldwide. They’re famous for making super hardy dog toys, and this ball is no exception. Reviews are overwhelmingly positive and the brand also makes all of their toy in the USA.
- This is highly durable and puncture resistant.
- It’s specifically made for powerful medium to large-sized dogs.
- This is also long-lasting and easy to clean.
- Perfect for teething dogs and fetch activities.
- Keeps dogs out of boredom and anxiety.
- Promotes calm behavior of dogs in crate training.
- Some products arrived defective.
- It also has a bad rubber smell.
2. Gnawsome Spiky Squeak & Light Ball Dog Toy Extra Large
This ball by Gnawsome is 3.5 x 3.5 inches in size and it’s made from soft, durable, BPA-free, TPR rubber. It’s super bouncy and has a spiky texture that is fun to chew and great for dental health. It also has an internal squeaker as well as bright LED lights that flash on impact to stimulate the senses and mind.
It comes in red, blue, yellow, and green, and it is a potluck as to which color you get when you make a purchase. Several reviewers claim their German Shepherds love the ball.
- Perfect for fun outdoor games and activities.
- It has a led light and squeaks speaker for nighttime play sessions.
- This also helps promote dogs’ healthy teeth and gums.
- It’s made from BPA-free materials.
- Other products arrived with defective lights.
- Powerful chewers can easily destroy the toy.
- Small pieces are choking hazards.
3. Chuckit Kick Fetch Dog Toy
This innovative ball by Chuckit! is sure to be a firm favorite with any German Shepherds that love to play fetch. The soccer-sized ball can be kicked or thrown to revolutionize the classic canine game and involve the whole family! It has a deconstructed design that enables dogs to pick up the ball and join in with family games. The foam, rubber, and polyester blend material is super tough and also floats, making it great for pool play and trips to the beach.
It comes in two sizes, small and large, and the large size is 19.69 x 19.69 cm. It’s an Amazon’s Choice product and reviews can’t recommend it highly enough, with several buyers saying how great it is for getting the whole family involved.
- This is a non-inflatable toy that’s perfect for all dog sizes.
- It’s lightweight and great for all types of fun activities.
- It also has high-visibility paint that can be seen even in dark places.
- It’s durable and dogs have an easy grip on it.
- This is made from foam, canvas, and rubber that float during water games.
- This isn’t puncture-proof.
- Shredded pieces can contribute to blockage.
4. As Seen on Tv Wobble Wag Giggle Ball
This ball by As Seen On TV is guaranteed to get your German Shepherd moving and keep them entertained. Every time it rolls the tubes inside make a fun giggle noise that dogs go crazy for. It doesn’t require batteries so there are no chewing hazards and it won’t suddenly stop working.
The ball is 14 x 14 cm and has ‘clutch pockets’ so that any dog can pick it up and play, and it’s suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. It’s an Amazon’s Choice product and reviews absolutely love it.
- It’s made from nontoxic materials that are safe for dogs.
- Also, it creates giggle sounds without batteries.
- This has 4 clutches that dogs can grip.
- Perfect for interactive games and activities such as fetch.
- It’s not suitable for powerful chewers.
- Broken parts can become choking hazards.
5. Eastblue Ring Chew Toy for Aggressive Chewers
This rubber ring chew toy by Eastblue is made with aggressive chewers in mind, making it a great choice for German Shepherds. It is 5.2 x 5.2 inches and comes in four colors; red, green, blue, and orange. It’s also made from eco-friendly, natural, non-toxic rubber that is 100% safe and super durable.
In fact, it is virtually indestructible according to the brand, and this is backed up by reviews. The unique design also has a bumpy polka-dot surface texture for sensory stimulation. It is super fun to chew and chuck around, both indoors and outdoors.
- It has raised bumps that promote healthy oral health.
- This contains natural rubber that’s safe for dogs to chew.
- It also has a unique circle design that makes fetch more fun.
- This helps stimulate instinctual behavior and stop destructive chewing.
- Small rubber pieces are choking hazards.
6. Feeko Dog Toys For Aggressive Chewers Large Breed Interactive Bone
Feeko’s long rubber chew toy is 15 x 5 inches and has handles at each end. It’s covered in bumps and ridges for a fun chew, and it’s available to buy in red, blue, orange, and green. It’s made of natural, non-toxic rubber that is 100% safe, eco-friendly, and super tough, yet flexible and soft to chew. The toy also has a beefy scent to stimulate the senses and encourage good chewing behaviors.
It’s made with large dogs and heavy chewers in mind, and the brand claims the product to be almost indestructible, citing German Shepherds as one of the breeds it was intended for and tested on. The brand is so confident in their product that they also offer a lifetime guarantee, and reviews are overwhelmingly positive.
- This is a durable squeaky toy that’s perfect for all activities.
- It has bumps and ridges that help remove tartar.
- This also has a built-in beef flavor that attracts dogs.
- It’s made from 100% natural elastic rubber.
- It shreds easily when chewed by powerful dogs.
- The small parts can be choking hazards as well.
7. KONG Squeezz Crackle Bone Large
This bone-shaped chew toy by Kong is 5 x 2 inches. It makes a fun crackling sound when squeezed and is super bouncy, making it ideal for chewing and playing games of fetch. It’s also made of natural rubber that is 100% safe for dogs and comes in several colors including green, pink, and orange. It’s is a potluck as to which one you get when you order online. This toy is suitable for both indoor and outdoor play and reviews like the product.
- Great for both indoor and outdoor recreational activities.
- Good for dogs with anxiety and behavioral issues.
- This is also mentally stimulating and suitable for teething dogs.
- It promotes dogs’ crate training.
- Some products arrived broken and tampered with.
- This breaks very easily when chewed by big dogs.
- Small broken parts are choking hazards.
8. Bmag Dog Rope Toys for Aggressive Chewers
This twisted rope toy by Bmag is made from cotton and comes in three multicolored options; blue, red, and yellow. It’s 10.2 x 6.8 x 3.4 inches in size and has 5 knots for lots of tug-of-war fun. The product is suitable for medium-large-sized dogs and heavy chewers, making it the ideal rope toy for German Shepherds. It is an Amazon’s Choice product and bestseller, and reviews are overwhelmingly positive.
- This is a durable twisted 5-knot and a 3-feet long rope.
- Perfect for medium to large-sized active dogs.
- Promotes good behavioral and instinctual training.
- Stimulates a dog’s mental capacity and keeps the boredom away.
- This is cost-effective and good for tug-of-war dog games.
- Over time the fabric breaks down.
- Broken fabric can lead to choking hazards and obstruction.
9. KONG Extreme Dog Toy
This black Kong toy features the brand’s famous, tried, and tested stuffable design that is recommended by vets worldwide. It doubles up as both a chew toy and a treat dispenser and comes in several sizes including large (4 x 2.75 x 2.75 inches) and extra-large (5 x 3.5 x 3.5 inches), both of which are suitable for German Shepherds.
It’s made from super strong, all-natural rubber and is free from toxic chemicals. All of Kong’s toys of this kind are dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. It’s also an Amazon’s Choice product and bestseller, and it hardly has any negative reviews.
- This is also perfect for games and activities like fetch.
- It came from 100% tough and natural rubber.
- This is long-lasting and has great value for money.
- Promotes mental enrichment with its built-in food puzzle.
- It’s also high quality and easy to clean.
- The chew toy leaves black stains when wet.
10. Outward Hound Invincibles Blue Snake Plush large Dog Toy
Outward Hound‘s Invincibles soft toy line is specifically for heavy and aggressive chewers, making them a great choice for German Shepherds. They are very tough, with double the seams and linings for ultra durability. They’re also stuffing-free for extra safety.
The Invincibles line comes in several shapes and sizes, but this blue stripey snake is suitable for larger dogs. It’s 24.5 inches long and contains three squeakers. There is also an extra-large snake that contains 6 squeakers, and an XXL snake that contains 12. Reviews love the toy, and several say it’s their dog’s favorite.
- This has durable double seams and linings.
- Great for recreational activities such as fetch.
- It comes in different sizes and is a good value for your money.
- It’s also long-lasting and has invisible sound squeakers.
- This is too soft and not suitable for powerful chewers.
11. HuggleHounds Knotties Bunny Large Dog Toy
This pink corduroy plush bunny by HuggleHounds makes for a very sweet, comforting companion toy. The brand pride itself on hand-stitching their toys with great attention to detail. It has minimal stuffing, Tuft Technology lining, and knotted limbs for supreme durability making it great for German Shepherds.
The knots also add extra texture making for an interesting chew, and the multiple squeakers are lots of fun. It’s 11 x 23.01 x 38 cm and machine washable for easy cleaning. Reviews are very complimentary, with several buyers saying how sweet their dogs look carrying them around.
- This is both adorable and durable at the same time.
- It’s a good plush toy for dogs, especially puppies.
- It also includes a Tuffut technology that’s easy to clean.
- The knots are good for play biting and chewing.
- The knotted limbs break easily.
- Undone or torn fabrics can cause blockage.
12. Kong Senior Dog Toy Gentle Natural Rubber
Another classic toy by Kong is for senior dogs. The all-natural rubber formula is customized for senior dogs’ aging teeth and gums. That said, it’s still super tough and doubles up as a treat dispenser for hours of fun.
It is dark purple and comes in three size options; small, medium, and large. The large option is 4.1 x 2.75 x 2.75 inches, which is ideal for older German Shepherds. It’s also an Amazon’s Choice product and bestseller, and it has hardly any negative reviews.
- This is made explicitly for gentle senior dogs.
- It’s also durable and cost-effective.
- Perfect for senior playtime sessions.
- It also acts as both a toy and a treat dispenser.
- It’s mentally stimulating and great for calming anxiety issues.
- This is too soft hence it’s easily ripped.
- Some products arrived moist and sticky.
13. Outward Hound Hide A Squirrel Plush Dog Toy Puzzle, XL
Outward Hound is fantastically fun and challenging puzzle games for dogs. This plush puzzle game provides your dog with a solo game of hide and seek. Or, as the brand likes to call it, hide and squeak. The plush log comes with 7 squeaky squirrels that fit perfectly inside it. To play, simply hide the squirrels in the log and ask your dog to find them. Also, the game challenges your dog’s problem-solving skills, engages their hunting instincts, and is lots of fun.
The XL log option is 13 x 8 inches and comes with 7 plush squirrels, however, replacement squirrels are also available to buy separately should your dog lose or break one. It’s an Amazon’s Choice product and reviews love it, with several owners of German Shepherds saying how well it entertains their dogs.
- It’s a challenging and interactive plush toy.
- This is also a good toy to play fetch with.
- The stuffed squirrels have a built-in squeak speaker.
- It’s soft and at the same time gentle on puppies’ gums.
- It’s not suitable for powerful chewers.
- Torn fabric and plush filling can cause blockage.
14. AWOOF Snuffle Mat Pet Dog Feeding Mat
This snuffle mat by AWOOF is 28.7 x 28.7 inches and has a surface texture that mimics grass and flowers. It’s also made from environmentally friendly felt and allows your German Shepherd to exercise their sniffing and foraging skills. To use, simply hide some treats inside it and go!
For extra fun, there are bells throughout the mat that ring as your dog hunts for their treats. It can also attach to furniture for non-slip security during play.
Moreover, it’s ideal for encouraging solo play, mental stimulation, and stress-busting. The mat is also machine washable for easy cleaning and folds up into a bag for simple storage. All of the materials used are high quality, non-toxic, durable, and odorless. It is also an Amazon’s Choice product and has glowing reviews from German Shepherd owners.
- This functions both as a mat and an interactive feeder.
- It came from thick oxford fabric that has a non-slip bottom.
- It’s also 100% non-toxic and machine washable.
- The company guarantees satisfaction through refunds or replacements.
- The fabric is quite thin compared to what was advertised.
- Powerful chewers can destroy this easily.
15. Pet artist Jute Bite Pillow
This is also one of those pet companies that bring out the best dog products on the market. Well, if you want something unique that’s made of linen, then this bite pillow is your best choice. You can never go wrong with this product since linen is a strong fabric. Moreover, it came from flax plant fibers that also act as super absorbent pads. Plus, this also dries way faster compared to ordinary fabrics.
In addition, aside from its tough exterior, this contains soft cotton fibers inside that are gentle on teeth. Also, this has 3 durable nylon handles on each side that enables you to hold the pillow firmly during doggie tug-of-war sessions. Further, this is well constructed and at the same time, guarantees 100% customer satisfaction.
- Perfect for dogs that like playing tug of war.
- It’s durable and can also withstand strong bites.
- This came from high-quality linen and wedge material.
- It also has 3 handles made of nylon for a strong grip.
- Great for dog behavioral training.
- Some reviews said this has allergens.
- The nylon handles tore easily.
The Importance Of Toys For German Shepherds
Toys are a necessity for all dogs, young or old, whatever their breed. They provide an outlet for energy, boredom, and stress, as well as providing comfort and aiding socialization and training. Chewing toys also contributes to good dental health, by washing away food and scraping off bacteria.
Due to their working DNA, German Shepherds have naturally high energy levels and a low tolerance for boredom and loneliness, which can result in separation anxiety and destructive behaviors out of frustration. This can be prevented (and fixed) by providing your German Shepherd with around 2 hours of exercise a day, lots of love and social interaction, and as well as plenty of mental stimulation through play, with fun and challenging games and toys.
Types Of Toys
As mentioned above, toys are a great way of combatting boredom in dogs, and variety is key. Different toys have different functions, and dogs should have at least two or three of each kind.
This includes toys that encourage physical activity, like balls and frisbees, cooperative toys like tug-of-war ropes, comforting soft toys, chew toys that relieve stress and boredom, and also mentally stimulating toys like puzzle games and treat dispensers. Puzzles can also encourage relaxation and independence in anxious German Shepherds. Toys that stimulate the senses are also great, especially for young, old, and disabled Sheps.
“Chase” toys such as balls and frisbees are always firm favorites for shepherd breeds because they exercise their natural herding instincts. Chew toys and puzzle toys are also especially great for German Shepherds because they are heavy chewers and highly intelligent.
Factors to Consider When Buying German Shepherds Toys
When looking for toys for your German Shepherd, you should consider the following things.
German Shepherds are large dogs, so you should buy them large toys to avoid choking and swallowing hazards. So, if they’re a pup or an elderly dog, don’t opt for something too heavy or hardy that could hurt their teeth.
German Shepherds are naturally heavy chewers because they have large, strong jaws. So, it’s important to buy toys made from materials that are tough and durable, as toys that fall apart easily are a hazard for your dog and a waste of money for you!
It’s also essential to buy toys that are made from natural, safe, non-toxic materials. Always check the product label or description online, and avoid soft toys that contain stuffing if your Shep is a particularly aggressive chewer. Toxic and harmful materials and chemicals to avoid in dog toys include BPA, PVC, phthalates, lead, and formaldehyde. Products that are made in the USA, UK, or Europe are also preferable to products made in China, as they do not have to adhere to strict manufacturing laws.
Finally, consider your German Shepherd’s personality. What do they enjoy? What is missing from their toy box? As we mentioned above dogs should have toys of all kinds, so think about that when you go shopping for dog toys. If an area of your Shep’s life is lacking, get a toy that will fix that.
Other things you may want to consider include:
- Trusted brands
- Products with high ratings and good reviews
- Easy to clean products
- Ethically sourced & environmentally friendly materials
- Age appropriate toys for puppies and older dogs
Toys for German Shepherds: FAQ
We gathered the top frequently asked questions about the top German Shepherd toys, below are the best answers to your inquiries.
Toys are a necessity for dogs of all breeds. They provide comfort as well as an outlet for energy and stress. They can also aid socialization and training in young pups, and promote good oral health and mental stimulation in adults, which is essential for clever shepherd breeds.
Like all shepherd breeds, German Shepherds have a naturally low tolerance for boredom, which can lead to separation anxiety and destructive behaviors if not properly nurtured. This can be avoided by providing your German Shepherd with adequate exercise, lots of love and social interaction, and mentally stimulating play with games and toys.
German Shepherds should have a variety of toys, and at least 2 or 3 of each kind. They love balls and frisbees, tug-of-war toys, chew toys, soft toys, and toys that stimulate the mind like puzzles and feeders.
“Chase” toys such as balls and frisbees are always firm favorites for shepherd breeds because they allow them to exercise their natural herding instincts. Chew toys and puzzle toys are also great for German Shepherds because they are heavy chewing, highly intelligent dogs.
German Shepherds are large dogs with strong jaws, so naturally, they are quite heavy chewers. Therefore, when you’re buying toys for your German Shepherd, you should look for toys that are appropriately sized, and made from strong, safe materials to avoid health hazards and wasting your money. You should avoid soft toys that contain stuffing and look for products made of natural materials that are free from toxic materials, such as BPA and phthalates. It’s also a good idea to avoid pet products that are made in China.
Those are our 15 best toys for German Shepherds. German Shepherds are great dogs who deserve great toys! Do you have a German Shepherd? Let us know how you keep them entertained in the comments down below.